Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Access problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Feith

Feith

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 01 October 2009 - 01:03 AM

"Access denied to specified device, path or file. You may not have sufficient access permissions."

WinXP Pro SP3

It's the error I've been getting lately, and it's starting to irritate me, especially considering that I'm using an account with admin permissions. I tried looking around for what I should post to begin with, and could only come up with specifying the error and what I've done to fix it...

Soo! That's my error. My attempted fixes were running AVG full scan (nothing was picked up) and logging onto the account the computer was originally assigned to when I reinstalled the computer and ran into the same problem both times. Thanks for your time...

Edited by Feith, 01 October 2009 - 01:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:11 AM

What are you trying to do? What are you trying to access?

That error message tells us nothing without knowing what it is that you are trying to accomplish.

Is this a work computer?

Were the files that you are trying to access...always on this system and created under your profile?

Louis

#3 Feith

Feith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:24 AM

Apologies. The computer is a home computer, and the files vary. I've had the issue with files I've created and then moved (as well as occasionally ones that I haven't moved
), such as .jpgs, .gifs, .bmps, and .avis, as well as files taken out of a .rar (and the .rar file itself, though if I can access the .rar file, I seem to be able to look at the files from the .rar until I take them out of the .rar. Also am not allowed to delete said files that I took out of the .rar file) and also run into the problem while trying to install Microsoft Visual C++ Express Edition. So no and yes to the fourth question. Also, trying to install, access, or delete files.

The current specific files that are giving me issues are:

m3drf.pdf (a pdf file manual for assistance with using a game engine; on desktop)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition with SP1 installer
buildg3d (no file type; part of a game engine; accidentally removed from a rar and place on desktop)
buildg3d.bat (part of a game engine; accidentally removed from a rar and placed on desktop)
rainbow_gradient.gif (a gradient I created for use as a texture, currently located in C:\Documents and Settings\Feith.LEEANDRA\My Documents\3dsMax\sceneassets\images, haven't been able to access it since I made it, saved it, and closed down GIMP.)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:18 AM

You say that you've reinstalled...the problems may exist because of permissions perceived before the install...and the current install.

Or the problems may exist because of a corrupt/damaged profile.

In any case, try taking ownership of the files if they are located in the Docs & Settings folders.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

If they are not located in Docs & Settings, I would try creating a new user profile...and moving the settings from the old profile which had no problems.

Copy Data from a Corrupted User Profile to a New Profile in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

Related reference material, Windows XP Problems if Your Profile Is Damaged - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326688

Louis

#5 Feith

Feith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:39 AM

Ugh! You're kidding me! That was so easy! Thank you very much, Louis.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 12:01 PM

Glad it worked for you...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:13 PM

Which of hamluis' suggestions was the magic bullet?!

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#8 gannon

gannon

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:30 PM

I have been getting the same error as this when starting Mozilla Firefox, and my Control Panel ... BUT after clicking "okay" they both start. Now, however, when trying to create a new user profile to fix my current potentially corrupt one, I click on User Accounts in the Control Panel, and NOTHING happens. I get the hourglass for about 10 seconds, then nothing at all. Any suggestions? XP Professional SP3. Clean registry (according to CCleaner), disk, temp folders, etc. (I've done the standard "cleaning" steps as I know them)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users