Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

few questoins about building a gaming computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 1computernoob

1computernoob

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 01 October 2009 - 12:45 AM

i am new to messing with computers but have been contemplating building a gaming computer.

my question is this:

I have heard that if you built a bad ass one then in 6 month - 1 year it would no longer be so bad ass. i heard that theycome out with so much new bleep that building a computer can get very expensive if you try to keep your computer as awesome as when you originally bought it.

so how long can i get out of a computer that i build until it is not AS great any more? how often do i have to buy new bleep to keep it just as good as day 1?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 IrishGrimReaper

IrishGrimReaper

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:56 AM

Bigger and better computer stuff comes out all the time. You can't keep up unless you're willing to spend big money.

Buy something top of the range now and it'll last a good 3 years, it won't be the best thing after 3 years but you can't change that unless you keep buying.

Edited by IrishGrimReaper, 01 October 2009 - 05:57 AM.

|~|i7 920-D0@3.9Ghz|~|Noctua NH-U12P|~|P6T Deluxe V2|~|OcZ 3x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz|~|PNY GTX 275 898MB|~|Enermax Rev85+ 850 Watt|~|Xonar Dx 7.1|~|Lian Li P80|~|Samsung T220|~|G9|~|G11|~|Intel SSD X25M:G2-80GB|~|Windows 7 Home Premium 64|~|SteelSeries Siberia White|~|

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 01 October 2009 - 12:45 PM

You got to go in with a plan.

Plan on upgrades when you build as your hardware will indeed be obsolete in 12 to 18 months if you are a serious gamer. You have to deal with that. Videocards are replaced most often, usually followed by the CPU.

Get the basics right. Get a top of the line power supply, hard drive, optical drives and case that will deal with your future needs. The idea is to try to get future upgrades cut down to videocard, motherboard, CPU, and memory.

Get a motherboard/chipset/socket that has an upgrade path. Some sockets/chipsets are end of life (Core2/Socket775). DDR3 memory is the standard for the next couple of years. Intel socket 1156/AMD AM3 will be around for at least 24 months, likely longer. A good 1156 or AM3 board will support the next round of faster CPUs.

It is rare you can go into a build knowing it will play every game released in the next 24 months. With planning you can keep your upgrades down to ~$400 US/yr on average, and have a nearly state of the art system that will play whatever you throw at it.

EDIT: I forgot about turning over your used parts. I sell my old parts on Craigslist or EBay. For whatever reason people pay way too much for used parts, oh well.

Edited by dpunisher, 01 October 2009 - 12:47 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:46 PM

that is true but it doesnt mean its a bad computer after 6 months. I built my computer when the AMD athlon x2 6000+ was the BEST AMD chip on the market, and purchased the my video card (an ati 3870 x2) when it was considered the best, and right now their both "obsolete" by todays standards. However, in all reality its not, cuz that setup will still run pretty much any game on the market with good graphics and a playable frame rate. Quad cores are insanely fast, but the software hasnt totally caught up to them yet, and most games (not counting Crysis) are not setup to fully utilize a quat yet anyway, and even the ones that are will still run on a dual. What I like to do with computers is build the best system I can afford at the time, and the best system today, should last me several years, even if 2 years down the road its no longer considered "high end" it will still do the job. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users