Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to print share from XP to Vista!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:35 PM

Seems like I am always having issues with File and print sharing. I am trying to print share a PC running XP Pro and a Laptop running Vista. I made sure they had the same work group name. Print shared the XP computer and gave it a shared name. Allowed Net bios over IP/TCP. Disabled simple file sharing. The Vista computer isn't able to detect the printer on the XP PC via a network connection. Therefore I tried to Make a local port with the IP address of the XP PC and install the driver. Unfortunately this did not work. It seems like if the two PC's could see each other than it would be easy to install the driver from the XP PC onto the Vista PC. The XP PC says the workgroup is not accessible and you may not have admin rights to use this network resource. Therefore I cannot see the Vista PC in Network places on the XP PC. I can now see the XP PC on the Vista PC, but it doesn't allow me to access it (cannot access \\Richard). I have performed this many times before without any problems, but for some reason with these two computer's I am having trouble. The user name and passwords don't have to be the same do they? I download Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder ... on the XP PC. I have read many posts on this topic as It is something I really want to know how to troubleshoot. I can't think of what else to try. Please Help. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sonic_8400

sonic_8400

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:28 AM

try this http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx

#3 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 10:16 PM

I am hoping that you are still with me on this issue and we can come up with a solution to solving the problem. I am so close I can taste the fix. This is what I tried since we spoke last.

Put both computers onto the same user name and password. After I do this can I bypass the log in by using control userpasswords2.

names them both MSHOME.

Uninstallled Norton's Internet security. This was a major success as it finally allowed the Vista computer to access the files/printer on the XP desktop. My final hurdle is that I can see the printer under the XP computer shared files/printer via the Vista laptop. However when I go to access it to download the driver is says "you can't access this file". What could be stopping me downloading the driver from the printer on the XP computer. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users