Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internal Hard disk Drive not found!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:12 PM

I am fixing a friends XPS 1530 laptop that runs Windows Vista. I go the computer with the hard drive out as they had backed up their data using the hard drive out of the Laptop. I place the Internal Hard drive back in. The problem is that the computer is not recognizing the hard drive as being in. It runs the diagnostic test and doesn't find the hard drive. The drive is all the way into the drive slot. It says Internal hard disk drive not found. What could be wrong? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:37 PM

When booting the computer go into the bios menu (Usually F12 or the DEL key) and see if you can auto detect the Hard disk.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:19 AM

When I go to the boot menu screen is does not show up. I guess this means that the Laptop doesn't recognize that the Hard drive is in. I am certain it is in properly. I put it in the hard drive opening, it is all the way in and screwed in. I don't know how else to check that it is in correctly. It seems pretty easy that you slide it in fully and screw in fully. Any other ideas? Thanks

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:48 PM

Does this drive work connected to another computer? Could be the SATA controller card is dead. See if you can connect the drive through a USB enclosure.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#5 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:07 PM

What exactly do you mean by "See if you can connect the drive through a USB enclosure"? I will go ahead an install another drive from an XPS into my Laptop and see if it works. Thanks for your suggestions.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:51 AM

If you cant get the drive (or any drive) to work through the SATA connector in the laptop all is not lost. You may be able to use an external enclosure like This the success will depend on if the Bios supports booting from USB or not. But we have to determine if its the laptop or the drive that's bad first.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#7 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:07 PM

I am going to try it in another Dell XPS model, and if it isn't detected there, then I think it is safe to say the hard drive is fried. The error I receive is 0141, and it says to reseat the hard drive because the "internal hard disk is not found", then it beeps twice internally. I ran the diag and that's the message I got. I appreciate any more help. Again, its an XPS M1530

#8 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:55 PM

I took out the hard drive from the computer and replaced it with one from another dell studio xps 16. the studio xps's hard drive showed up right away, and her computer loaded it right up. I think her hard drive is finished, as it is making a strange revving sound, and it doesn't load. I will call Dell to see if I can get a new one for free, otherwise I will search newegg. I appreciate all of your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users