Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Renaming external HD (from h: to d:)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Valisun

Valisun

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:26 PM

Hello,

Here's my problem. Recently my computer busted and I had to get a new one. My new motherboard only takes SATA and I have old IDE drives, so I can't use the drives on this computer but I have retrieved the data on it.

I have A LOT of music that I had moved. On my old computer I have spent countless hours (at least dozens of hours) organizing my music on winamp as I listened to it. I rated songs, put songs in the library, all that stuff. When I moved winamp over fortunately all this information is saved, however all the song locations have changed from D: to H: (H: is my external drive where I now keep the music). So basically none of the songs work when I'm using winamps library.

So I think this problem can simply be fixed if I can change the external drive from H: to D: so the locations match. Or if somebody knows another way I can fix this I'll be glad to hear that too. I've tried changing the location listing on winamp manually but it doesn't seem to let you do it, and even if I could unless I could do it for all the thousands of songs at once that wouldn't be feasible.

Thanks for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:37 PM

Here ya go: How to change drive letter assignments in Windows XP.

#3 Valisun

Valisun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:28 AM

Thanks, but it looks like another problem showed up. Its only letting me change from E to Z (not counting the letters already used by other drives). No D is there and that's the letter I need.

When I try the "add" way instead of "change" and try to manually put in D:, it says can't find the path specified too.

Do you know why they might not allow D:? I don't have any harddrives on this computer that were ever named D:, I got this computer used though so I can't say if a D was ever put on this computer. Does it make a difference if the drive I'm using is external?

#4 Valisun

Valisun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:30 AM

Wait a sec, just noticed I have a D: dvd drive. Let me see what I can do about that.

#5 Valisun

Valisun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:41 AM

Ok it works now. I just disabled the DVD drive for a sec so it didn't show up then was able to change it to D:. The winamp library is working now. Thanks again!

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:47 AM

Glad to hear it! Rock on!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 01 October 2009 - 12:04 PM

FWIW: Generally speaking...the D: drive in a system will be the optical drive...because that would (normally) be the only other drive attached when the system is first set up.

The hard drive on which Windows is installed would be recognized as the first drive and assigned C: (which normally cannot be changed), with the optical drive used for the install receiving D: (which can be changed by just choosing a letter which is not used by Windows for another partition/drive).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users