Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sort order for Win XP file contents

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pinkn0rangegal

pinkn0rangegal

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:03 PM

Hi, What do I need to do (if anything) to change the sorting order when listing the contents of files etc. For example, when I open any given folder to see the contents, I have DETAILS selected as the VIEW type, and when I click on the DATE header for sorting, the items should be sorted chronologically, but they're not...there are files that are out of order.

I tried changing the REGIONAL date formats, and the only one that sorts correctly (using the year 1st) gets too confusing to use, i.e. 09-09-09, or 09-09-29 (yy-mm-dd). It's currently set with the standard mm-dd-yy; but for some reason 11/21/08 is in between 7/16/09 and 6/08/09. Is there a registry entry that I can change? See my jpegs for my sorts to see exactly what I mean.

I have Win XP Home Ed. SP3 and MS Office 2003 SP3.

I await advice :thumbsup: Thank you.

See my jpegs - Click on VIEW ALBUM, then for best view, click on PLAY SLIDESHOW, then you can PAUSE each image to take a look at the lists. You won't see the entire list because the image is big, but you'll see enough to get the idea. Thank you!

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 30 September 2009 - 09:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:45 PM

Try View / Arrange Icons by / Name
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 pinkn0rangegal

pinkn0rangegal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:36 PM

Thanks. The name sort is fine; but I'm trying to get the date sorting to work, so that the items are shown chronologically. Any help for that :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users