Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help with updates

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 harlee

harlee

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:42 PM

To make a long story short, after contracting a bad virus, I ended up using my Restore Disk and brought my computer back to its original condition more times than I care to count because of updating problems.

I've had no problems updating and installing the Explorer upgrades, that is, until I reach the update for Service Pack 2. I'm stuck on SP 1. :flowers:

I can't get it to update either automatically or manualy, by by going to the Microsoft update page. If try updating automatically, my little Update Icon just sits here and shows no change in the amount of percentage downloaded. It's over 3 hours and still shows zero percent.

If I go to Microsoft's Update page and try to download SP 2 manually, it justs sit there for hours with a blinking curser. I'm at my wit's end. :thumbsup:

I tried following the troubleshooting tips at the Microsoft help site, but that did not solve the problem and I still can't download and install after folloiwing the instructions here: MS Help and Suppport

I ran Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and it found no infections. My computer is a 6 year old HP which is running with XP Home Edition. I really can't afford to go go out and replace this computer, so I hope that someone here will be able to help me.

Thank you so much in advance. :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:33 AM

If you can't download updates from microsoft I highly suggest that you burn SP3 iso to a CD and try it that way...It is a rather large download and can take some time on slower connections...You may ask WHY SP3 and not SP2?...SP3 contains all previous service packs and hot-fixes.

http://www.microsoft.com/DownLoads/details...;displaylang=en

You will need CD burning software capable of burning iso's...I use this one it is free and easy to use...

http://cdburnerxp.se/

Once you have succesfully downloaded and burnt your CD you should be able to install SP3 and that should take care of your issue.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 harlee

harlee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 02:58 PM

Thank you so much. I'll give that a try. :thumbsup:

#4 harlee

harlee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:53 PM

RATS ... for lack of a better word. :thumbsup:

When I go to your first link, I get:

"The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.
..... and the rest of the legal stuff afterwards.

I tried refreshing the page 6 times, and still get the same message. When I click on "Detect Metwork Settings, I still get the same message. I even rebooted my computer, to no avail.

I found the page to get to download SP 3 and when click to install it, it won't give me a choice of installing it, saving it, or burning it, but instead it takes me to the page to download SP2. I'm about ready to cry ny time now. I've put in my Recovery Deesk a gazillion times, and I can't past SP 1.

It's a 6 week wait to have Microsoft send the SP3 CD to me. I honestly think that it's coming from India, because when I called the 800 number for Help, I was connected to India.

EDIT TO ADD:

I'm sorry for being such a pain in the butt, but but I hope you haven't read my previous posts,. I don't quite know how I did it, but I managed to get SP2 to finally install.

Hopefully, I won't have a problem when I try to install SP3. I do appreciate the time and help you gave to me. Thank you very much. :flowers:

Edited by harlee, 01 October 2009 - 09:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users