Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No safemode, no CHKDSK. All failed; Please help

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 xenoss

xenoss

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:22 PM

WinXP SP2

Description: Using my PC fine everyday. Last night, all of a sudden while browsing the net, harddrive loads for some reason (as if heavy system load), everything slows. a few seconds later, BSoD. Restart. Windows logo screen, BSoD when the progress nut reaches the right side of the progress bar. BSoD here is 0x000000A (irql less than or equal)

Safemode. Exactly the same thing. Crashes during Windows logo, when that nut reaches the right side.
Safemode command prompt. same.
EDIT: Safemode actually doesnt load, after the list of files scroll through the black screen, it just blue screens to a 0x0000007B.

Got my recover CD to recovery.

Recover Console loads. BUT, it is supposed to tell you to press 1 (to choose the windows installation) and prompt you for Admin pwd, then it will show C:\Windows. BUT that DID NOT happen. It just jumps straight to C:\. Did not ask me to press 1 to choose Windows. Perhaps implying it cannot find Windows?

In the console, DIR doesnt work: Failed during Enumeration.

commands like md says access denied.

tried chkdsk, chkdsk /p, chkdsk /r, chkdsk /f, chkdsk /p /r, chkdsk /p c:, chkdsk c: /p, etc. Different combinations; none worked: it immediately says without even loading or scanning:

The volume appears to have one or more unrecoverable problems.

I wonder if it is really true since it doesnt even start scanning; or if it is just because I cant seem to do anything with the drive to begin with... (even DIR didnt work).

What can I do now?

Is there any reason how this could happen?

Can a virus cause this type of situation?

(I happen to have System32's folder open when the crash happened, during the heavy system load. I had sort on "most recently modified" so new files should appear at the very end. When I was looking, there wasnt anything new; a virus usually put something there, right?

Edited by xenoss, 30 September 2009 - 09:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:46 PM

You could run a diagnostic test on the hard drive.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 xenoss

xenoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:58 PM

Where do I go about doing that? Thanks.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:06 PM

What is the make and model number of your computer?

And if you know what brand of hard drive you have in your computer that would be helpful.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 xenoss

xenoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 01:12 AM

the PC was custom built, so there is model#. I do not remember the hdd's brand either. Is there a difference in how I'd go about fixing it?

What does it imply when I do not get the 1: Windows choice in the recovery console? Does it mean Windows cannot be detected or does it mean my harddrive is not detected? Because it shows up in BIOS.

What can cause this? Any known virus? MBR Virii isnt common any more right? But even looking at mbr virus repair, people were able to use the recovery console (there is a choice for 1: Windows; where in my case it has nothing.)

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 01:20 AM

I would think that a hardware problem with the drive could cause a problem like this. That is why I would like to run a diagnostic test. But the test depends on the make of the drive as each manufacturer has their own test. The UBCD has about 15 different diagnostic applications. You could try them to see if you can get one to work.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 xenoss

xenoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 02:11 AM

Thanks Budapest, I'll try running 1 tomorrow. Also found this Bart's PE Builder thing, will try that as well if I can. Also going to buy a new HDD and install XP fresh on it to see if I can access files from this "broken" drive.

The thing is, if it was infected with some sort of lethal virus, I am a bit worried. Is this sort of issue known to be a virus (even worse than mbr virus)? Or does the fact I cant even see 1: Windows imply that it is a hardware issue more likely? (Because it happened so suddenly with no warning signs, and the fact that I was browsing the net when suddenly comes loading noises, then crashed...)

Also, as a related point, I have a 2nd HDD that serves as file storage. Would this sort of virus (if it is), affect it as well?

Thanks for your help. I feel so lost and you are giving me a shred of hope.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 02:24 AM

It's hard to say really, but from what you have described I don't think it is a virus. But Bart's PE is a good tool. You should be able to access the files on your drive with that if it's not a hardware failure.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 xenoss

xenoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:10 AM

I failed to build a Bart's PE; my CD apparently is pre SP1; I don't have slipstream. Will make 1 in the future. (the comp I use to post this is a vista, so no luck.)

I did burn UBCD and ran a test just now. It is a Seagate. My memory tells me its either Seagate or Maxtor. Luckily, theres 1 tool in UBCD, Sea Tools for Dos that is for Seagate/Maxtor. so I ran that. Indeed detected as Seagate. (my 2nd drive is detected, but doesnt have a name. Looking at its code, it is a samsung).

So I ran a Short Test. completed 100%; took only a few minutes (don't know if this is normal). Seeing as how Recovery Console chkdsk fails immediately before scanning, while Short Test scans 100%, I can only assume Recovery Console failed me due to its being unable to find Windows.

Running a Long Test now. 10% completed; worst temp 40, current 27.

Still going. Will update when it finishes.

UPDATE: Long Test passed. (a few hours ago).

If the HDD passes diagnostic, does it rule out hardware failure? (including faulty sata cable, motherboard (section related to the HDD) failure?) Since if any of those fails, it shouldn't run complete tests right? Thanks again for your help!
Or can I assume the possibility of viral infection? (having this happened immediately after suspicious loading noises followed by crashing)

Should I try accessing this hdd (if I can) with a new harddrive installed with XP? or am I safe if i take precautions and set up AVG first?

If possible, I'd really like to recover my drive as is, OS intact (a lot of applications in there I no longer have access to).

Edited by xenoss, 01 October 2009 - 06:19 AM.

#10 xenoss

xenoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 07:38 PM

Got PE. I can now see my files through it. But I do not have the plugins for Ad-aware (also, I don't know if the old plugins work with the current versions; since the new version goes by a different name than the Plugin's). Thus, I don't get to do a virus scan.

Looking in the Windows system32 folder, It doesnt seem like theres anything new added as far as I can tell. (but obviously, there are so many files I can only guess based on past experience).

So let's say it isnt a virus for a moment;
according to the symptoms (no boot, no safemode, windows missing from recovery console etc)...

What signs should I be looking for in the files? Should I be looking for the boot related files and boot.ini? What files should I check and what should I look for to root a the problem and look for a fix?

Thanks.

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:06 PM

If the long diagnostic test passed I think it is safe to say that the drive is okay. In that case I would suspect that there is some type of file system corruption which is causing your problem. You could try a repair install:

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 xenoss

xenoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:21 PM

Hi Budapest.

Is chkdsk a potential solution to this type of problem? (i bought the HDD today, havent set it up yet, since I can use PE for now to see if I can root out the problem).
Or say, a corrupted registry? (if i can somehow fix the registry)

or is the corruption that causes my sort of problem more deeply rooted than the above, so I need to do a repair install?

I have read that article as well during my research into fixing the problem. But I'm not entirely clear on exactly what I'd lose from doing the repair install?
Though the article is long and detailed, I failed to get that little nugget of info.

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:32 PM

If chkdsk was a potential solution I would expect it to run from the Recovery Console.

If it was a corrupted registry this should not prevent chkdsk from running from the Recovery Console.

You could try creating a new Recovery Console CD with this file:

http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

—George Bernard Shaw

#14 xenoss

xenoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:10 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477

Not exactly my problem, but from here, I can see the symptoms for my unable to use recovery console.

Windows installation is not located.

Due to this, a repair install will not work (it wont see the windows that's already there).

Could this be a boot.ini thing? if so, what steps can I take to confirm it is corrupted?

#15 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:30 PM

You could try the bootcfg /rebuild command from the Recovery Console.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291980

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users