Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backdoor.Tdss.433 Disappeared

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Minstral

Minstral

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:18 PM

I am trying to help a friend with his infected computer. I am writing this from my uninfected XP computer. The infected computer is running Windows Vista Home Premium with SP1. The Vista computer has Norton Internet Security 2009 and Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware software installed.

The first problem was that running any executable will display an error message with Bad Image and a .dll file. The body of the message states that the program is not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. The .dll file is UACseivgbvwbf.dll and supposedly in the globalroot\systemroot\system32 directory. I looked in the C:\Windows\System32 directory and could not find the .dll file, even with a hidden attribute check.

Downloaded and burned a CD with Dr. Web CureIt! on my clean XP computer. I booted the Vista computer into Safe Mode and copied the file to the desktop. CureIt! found that C:\Windows\System32\UACyehytpomjp.dll was infected with Backdoor.Tdss.433 and deleted the file. I decided to reboot the Vista computer and run Malwarebyte's. Malwarebyte's would not run. No error messages. Nothing happened.

I read about changing the name of the Malwarebyte's .exe file and chaged it to Fred.com. Now, I had 2 errors. Run time error '0' and Run time error '440'. I downloaded and installed Malwarebyte's on my clean XP computer and tried the renaming. No problem on my clean computer. Malwarebyte's would not run on the infected Vista computer. I changed the .exe file back to the original name and booted back into Safe Mode.

Now I receive 2 Bad Image errors for each executable file. One with UACseivgbvwbf.dll and one with UACyehytpomjp.dll (the file which was previously listed as deleted). I updated the CureIt! program on my clean computer and copied the file to the Vista machine as before. On the first run, the Blue Screen of Death appeared. After rebooting back into Safe Mode, the next run of CureIt! found 0 errors. The Vista machine is sitting next to me and is powered down.

Please let me know what information you need next. If it is easier, I can place the Vista machine online. I was working on the old "clean computer as a baseline" model.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:24 AM

You have a rootkit infection
let's see if we can get a log produced

Please download Win32kDiag.exe by AD and save it to your desktop.
alternate download 1
alternate download 2
  • This tool will create a diagnostic report for me to review.
  • Double-click on Win32kDiag.exe to run and let it finish.
  • When it states Finished! Press any key to exit..., press any key on your keyboard to close the program.
  • A file called Win32kDiag.txt should be created on your Desktop.
  • Open that file in Notepad and copy/paste the entire contents (from Starting up... to Finished! Press any key to exit...) in your next reply.

--------------------------------------
Go to Posted Image > Run..., then copy and paste this command into the open box: cmd
Click OK.
At the command prompt C:\>, copy and paste the following command and press Enter:
DIR /a/s %windir%\scecli.dll %windir%\netlogon.dll %windir%\eventlog.dll >Log.txt & START notepad Log.txt
A file called log.txt should be created on your Desktop.
Open that file and copy/paste the contents in your next reply.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Minstral

Minstral
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:10 AM

Here is the Win32kDiag report file.

Running from: C:\Users\Jean K\Desktop\Win32kDiag.exe

Log file at : C:\Users\Jean K\Desktop\Win32kDiag.txt

WARNING: Could not get backup privileges!

Searching 'C:\Windows'...

Cannot access: C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI\RtBackup\EtwRTDiagLog.etl

[1] 2009-10-01 11:31:55 64 C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI\RtBackup\EtwRTDiagLog.etl ()

Cannot access: C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI\RtBackup\EtwRTEventLog-Application.etl

[1] 2009-10-01 11:29:42 0 C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI\RtBackup\EtwRTEventLog-Application.etl ()

Cannot access: C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI\RtBackup\EtwRTEventlog-Security.etl

[1] 2009-10-01 11:29:54 64 C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI\RtBackup\EtwRTEventlog-Security.etl ()

Cannot access: C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI\RtBackup\EtwRTEventLog-System.etl

[1] 2009-10-01 11:29:54 64 C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI\RtBackup\EtwRTEventLog-System.etl ()

Finished!

The cmd script resulted in an "Access is denied" response and Notepad could not find a file to open.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,612 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:43 AM

-- Vista users can refer to these instructions to open a command prompt.

Alternatively you can do this:

Please download peek.bat and save it to your Desktop. Double-click on peek.bat to run it. A black Command Prompt window will appear indicating the program is running. Once it is finished, copy and paste the entire contents of the Log.txt file it creates in your next reply.

If you encounter a problem downloading or getting peek.bat to run, go to Posted Image > Run..., and in the open box, type: Notepad
  • Click OK.
  • Copy and paste everything in the code box below into the Untitled - Notepad.
@ECHO OFF
DIR /a/s C:\WINDOWS\scecli.dll C:\WINDOWS\netlogon.dll C:\WINDOWS\eventlog.dll C:\Windows\cngaudit.dll >Log.txt
START Log.txt
DEL %0
  • Go to File > Save As, click the drop-down box to change the Save As Type to *All Files and save it as "peek.bat" on your desktop.
  • Double-click peek.bat to run the script.
  • A window will open and close quickly, this is normal.
  • A file called log.txt should be created on your Desktop.
  • Open that file and copy/paste the contents in your next reply.
-- Vista users, users can refer to these instructions to Run a Batch File as an Administrator.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,612 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:46 AM

Forgot to mention this IMPORTANT NOTE: Your infection is related to nasty variant of the TDSSSERV rootkit component also known as Backdoor.Tidserv. Rootkits, backdoor Trojans, Botnets, and IRCBots are very dangerous because they compromise system integrity by making changes that allow it to be used be the attacker for malicious purposes. Rootkits are used be Trojans to conceal its presence (hide from view) in order to prevent detection of an attacker's software and make removal more difficult. Many rootkits can hook into the Windows 32-bit kernel, and patch several APIs to hide new registry keys and files they install. They can disable your anti-virus and security tools to prevent detection and removal. Remote attackers use backdoors as a means of accessing and taking control of a computer that bepasses security mechanisms. This type of exploit allows them to steal sensitive information like passwords, personal and financial data which is send back to the hacker. To learn more about these types of infections, you can refer to:If your computer was used for online banking, has credit card information or other sensitive data on it, you should stay disconnected from the Internet until your system is fully cleaned. All passwords should be changed immediately to include those used for banking, email, eBay, paypal and online forums. You should consider them to be compromised and change each password using a clean computer, not the infected one. If not, an attacker may get the new passwords and transaction information. If using a router, you need to reset it with a strong logon/password so the malware cannot gain control before connect again. Banking and credit card institutions should be notified of the possible security breach. Because your computer was compromised please read:Although the infection has been identified and may be removed, your PC has likely been compromised and there is no way to be sure the computer can ever be trusted again. It is dangerous and incorrect to assume the computer is secure even if the malware appears to have been removed. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired so you can never be sure that you have completely removed a rootkit. The malware may leave so many remnants behind that security tools cannot find them. Tools that claim to be able to remove rootkits cannot guarantee that all traces of it will be removed. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of malware, the best course of action is to wipe the drive clean, reformat and reinstall the OS. Please read:

#6 Minstral

Minstral
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:50 AM

I opened the cmd as admin and reran the script. Here is the result.

Volume in drive C is COMPAQ
Volume Serial Number is 76D5-5EEB

Directory of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\cd2b15b1a90e884578188440a1660b12\x86_microsoft-windows-s..urationengineclient_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6002.18005_none_39f95b67d63d3a5e

04/11/2009 02:28 AM 177,152 scecli.dll
1 File(s) 177,152 bytes

Directory of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\cd2b15b1a90e884578188440a1660b12\x86_microsoft-windows-security-netlogon_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6002.18005_none_ffa3304f351bb3a3

04/11/2009 02:28 AM 592,896 netlogon.dll
1 File(s) 592,896 bytes

Directory of C:\Windows\System32

01/20/2008 10:24 PM 177,152 scecli.dll

Directory of C:\Windows\System32

01/20/2008 10:24 PM 592,384 netlogon.dll
2 File(s) 769,536 bytes

Directory of C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-s..urationengineclient_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_380de25bd91b6f12

01/20/2008 10:24 PM 177,152 scecli.dll
1 File(s) 177,152 bytes

Directory of C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-security-netlogon_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_fdb7b74337f9e857

01/20/2008 10:24 PM 592,384 netlogon.dll
1 File(s) 592,384 bytes

Total Files Listed:
6 File(s) 2,309,120 bytes
0 Dir(s) 213,897,465,856 bytes free

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,612 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 12:00 PM

Some infections are difficult to remove completely because of their morphing characteristics which allows the malware to regenerate itself. Sometimes there is hidden piece of malware (i.e. rootkit) which has not been detected by your security tools that protects malicious files and registry keys so they cannot be permanently deleted. Disinfection will probably require the use of more powerful tools than we recommend in this forum. Before that can be done you will need you to create and post a DDS/HijackThis log for further investigation.

Please read the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next. In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log.

Start a new topic and post your DDS log along with the Win32kDiag.txt and Log.txt reports in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If DDS will not run, then just post the results of the Win32kDiag.txt and Log.txt. Be sure to include a note that you tried to follow the Prep Guide but were unable to get DDS to run.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,994 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 07:07 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/261567/rootkithidden-malware-removal-help/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days, up to two weeks perhaps less, to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users