Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

5 minute delay after boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vegassounder

vegassounder

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:50 PM

After my system successfully boots I have to wait for over 5 minutes before I can run any aps or even work online.
The processes tag in Windows Task Manager reports svchost.exe is using 100% of the CPU during this 5 minute period.
Once it finishes doing whatever it's doing and reverts to idle everything works as it should.
Can someone advise me as to whats going on here, is it normal, and if not, is there someway I can work around it?

My system = Pentium 4 at 2gig hz with 1.25 gigs ram and 80 gig HD.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:52 PM

This can be caused if you have a mapped network drive that is no longer available.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Chip Smith

Chip Smith

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:54 PM

Have you checked for viruses or spyware? If not, I'd run scans in Safemode with Spybot, Ad-aware and Malwarebytes, along with AVG or whatever antivirus you use.

#4 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:03 PM

Check to see if you have system services loading at startup. Sysinternals has a great utility called autoruns, which will tell you what is loading when you boot your computer. The most common cause of your problem is that you have deleted a program like an antivirus or firewall, but not uninstalled the service which starts when your computer boots. Two programs notorious for this is Norton Internet Security and Computer Associates Firewall software. They often leave behind a lot of crap when you uninstall them.

Also, a firewall other than Windows XP firewall will cause your computer to act in the manner you describe because it checks all system files to verify nothing is corrupt or infected before allowing you to have control of your desktop. Computer Associates software does this religiously and can slow a fast machine down to the point you want to pull your hair out.

To download autoruns, go to http://www.sysinternals.com and click the link for "Process Utilities".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users