Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

random freezes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jstarr868

jstarr868

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:41 PM

Hey everyone, this is my first post. I've been running Windows 7 RC x64 since it's release. Up until recently it has been fine but now my system freezes for 30-45 seconds at random intervals. I started leaving the Resource Monitor running and when the system freezes I can see that the disk i/o drops to 0 kb/s but the highest active time spikes to 100% or other times it goes up and down between 100 and 0 at even intervals for the duration of the freeze. The only commonality I've been able see is that I am usually browsing the web. It happens when I'm using both Firefox and IE.

I've run chkdsk and no errors came up. I also ran the built in memory diagnostics and no problems with ram. I even did another clean install and the problem comes back. Not sure what to do next and not sure what other info you all might need to figure out what up. I'd appreciate any help you all can give me.

System Specs: Dell Lattitude E5400
Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 @ 2.0Ghz
2x2.0GB Crucial PC6400 DDR2 RAM
250GB Seagate Momentus 5400.4 ST9250827AS
Intel Mobile Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
Intel WifiLink 5300
Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth
Dell P2210 external monitor

Edited by jstarr868, 30 September 2009 - 08:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:56 PM

Are you running monitor resolution above 1024 x 768? Usually, system freezes like this are related to running higher than normal monitor resolutions without checking display abilities. Also check your monitor refresh rate, anything above 60Hz needs to be supported by your monitor type.

#3 jstarr868

jstarr868
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:20 PM

Are you running monitor resolution above 1024 x 768? Usually, system freezes like this are related to running higher than normal monitor resolutions without checking display abilities. Also check your monitor refresh rate, anything above 60Hz needs to be supported by your monitor type.

I am running my laptop's screen at 1440x900 and my external monitor at 1680x1050, both at 60 hertz and these are the default/recommended settings. I checked the refresh rate and the option to hide unsupported rates is enabled so 60 is the only option.

The original post has been edited with my system specs which I probably should have put up in the first place. Thanks for the reply though.

#4 marcin6

marcin6

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:24 AM

try to disable NCQ on your HDD. Some people say this helps. i never tried.

Device Manager ->IDE ATA/ATAPI controlers -> your sata controller (ICHxx or something like this) -> ENABLE COMMANG QUEUING <- disble this, and see how it goes

marcin

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:13 PM

Also update to the latest version of Java. I have found that certain scripts can kill the browser and thus hang the machine until they resolve themselves.

#6 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:13 PM

Did you find a solution to your problem or did you give up? If possible, post back and let us know if we helped you fix the situation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users