Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Losing IP lease,controller fail,hung apps, & madness

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RICHARDST

RICHARDST

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:47 PM

I've been trying to sleuth this set of problems for a while now but I'm stymied at even isolating/diagnosing the problems.

The computer is a 5 yr old HP Pavilion running XP Home,SP3. I usually use Firefox though I have recently tried IE8 with similar results. MS updates are now up to date but this IP thing has me worried that something may have crept in because they weren't being installed as scheduled.I have to shamefacedly admit that I allowed my PC-Cilllin to lapse but have since loaded AVG, Spybot, and AD-Aware and scans have revealed no infections. My GF confessed to clicking the "X' on one of those fake security software oftware pop-ups but I don't know which one or when exactly.If there's a way to find that out, I'd love to hear it.

I also changed from ATT DSL to Earthlink about 7-8 months ago over a billing issue on my phone service. ATT is still chasing me for money. I don't want to sound paranoid but could they be disrupting my new service in some way?

With all the stuff going on intermittently,not sure if I have a dying/damaged HDD, malware, or just a discombobulated registry. Or a combo platter of computer dummy stew.

Symptoms: I keep getting bumped off the Net although always able to reconnect fairly quickly. Thought at first it was a connectivity/IP issue but my Mac G4 has no issues with the same connection (DSL). Event viewer shows a pattern but not totally consistent. When bumped, I get a Disk error:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\D

Followed or sometimes preceded by:

DHCP Your computer has lost the lease to its IP address....(I can add the numbers if nec. but I don't know how risky putting that info out there is.)

Also a strange app error when pre-rendering A/V files in Sony Vegas to be previewed in Windows MP that I'd never seen:

Application popup: Windows-write Protect Error. The disk cannot be written to because it is write protected. Please remove the write protection from the volume in drive \Device\Harddisk1\DR1.

For some reason, I had write caching enabled on the HDD. I don't know if it's related but I haven't seen that popup since I disabled it. This model has a power issue that I have never resolved; battery power doesn't work for more than a few minutes. The power meter will read that it is charging or at capacity but it's a damned lie.. Is a power outage a possible reason for my problems? There was a BIOS fix from HP but I never got it to work & keep the machine on mains power at home but there has been the odd power outage in my bldng.

I scheduled a disk check with the boxes ticked to self-diagnosis & fix disk problems. Didn't help for long.I've actually tried this a couple of times & interestingly, there was no Winlogon for the last one but the blue CHKDSK screen went bananas with scrolling multiple messages stating that the " disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters detected in file..." repeated with a seemingly endless stream of file numbers. Strange to my amateur eyes because the drive isn't partitioned. Check indicated no need for defrag,either.

When I realized that MS Updates were waaay behind schedule-MS wouldn't even talk to my computer until I did the Restore and HP stalled on loading an update for a driver called "pml hpz12". I haven't had an HP printer for years so I don't know the significance of this,if any. I installed a Canon a few months ago. Conflict?

I tried a Restore & uploaded all the updates from both MS and HP . That helped but problems soon returned ; although the disk errors haven't except for that weird chkdsk with no log & message described above, the DHCP errors have returned & apps have started to hang; IE8, Sony Vegas, and a number of fault bucket messages.

I tried to create the boot CD for a Hitachi Travelstar HDD once I had IDed the drive so I could check the disk for possible damage /incipient failure with their diagnostic tool but I'm an idiot and can't get it to work.Upon restart, Windows simply fires up. Am I missing a step? I thought ,from the instructions, that the CD would kick in.

And since, for example, there are bits of an inactive installation of Spyware doctor missing which won't allow me to remove it, I obviously need to do some registry cleaning but I'm nervous about undertaking anything that advanced without help. Overall, things are intermittently sluggish in Windows also.

No idea how to proceed with the diagnosis from here, never mind possible solutions.Money is an issue for both software tools and prohibit junking the beast but I wouldn't mind replacing the drive at its somewhat advanced age in HDD years if that would help. It's been an otherwise trusty desktop replacement with a lovely screen and more than potent enough for my amateur editing projects with a P4 3.0 HT chip- always wished I'd gone for 2 gigs of RAM ,though- and graphics card that more than adequately powers a 22" second display. Not even sure my older versions of Vegas & other Sony A/V apps would run on a new Windows OS without $ignifcant upgrades that I don't otherwise need.

My G4's specs are better for editing- dual drives, more RAM, DL burner,etc- but I hate FCP with a passion & really need some mobility as well.

Thanks in advance for any advice for this highly frustrated English teacher. Speak slowly & I'll do what I'm told. LOL.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:55 PM

Your computer should hold its own for another year or so. Sounds like your HDD may be failing you also may have problems with your network card too but we will tackle one problem at a time. Since you have already downloaded the HDD drive tools you need to reboot the computer and go into the bios menu (usually F12, F1 or the Del key) and you need to tell the computer to boot from the cd/dvd rom drive first. It will be in the Boot sequence menu (which is a sub menu you will have to hunt around for there are many different types of bios menu's and I can't tell you exactly where to look without knowing what you have).

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 RICHARDST

RICHARDST
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 12:26 AM

Thanks for the response. I'll try the diagnostic tomorrow & let you know how it goes.Too many papers to grade tonight.

#4 RICHARDST

RICHARDST
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:52 PM

OK, completed Quick ,Advanced, and Exerciser test (2 loops) with a clean bill of health. No errors reported. And yet the same DHCP error occurred at about 6pm this evening so there IS still an issue but I guess that rules out the HDD itself.

Now where do I look for the evildoer?

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:53 AM

When connecting the Ethernet cable (large telephone type plug) in the back of the computer does it connect near the USB ports or some distance away from them (indicating if you have on board networking or your using an expansion card).

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 RICHARDST

RICHARDST
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:47 AM

The RJ-45 jack is on the back of the right side, but not ON the back, with an expansion port and firewire between it & the nearest USB which is about 3-4 inches farther forward on that side. So...on board networking,yes?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users