Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Boot Failed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bvdaily

bvdaily

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 04:45 PM

So yesterday I was on my Dell computer (Vista SP2). Everything was fine, there were no problems or changes, nothing. I tried turning on my computer today and it stops at the "Windows Boot Manager." This is the message it came up with:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the case. To fix the problem:
1. Insert your Windows Installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
3. Click "Repair your computer."

File: PCIIDEX.sys
Info: Windows failed to load because a required file is missing, or corrupt.

[*Note I can't get into safemode] I tried everything I know to fix it with the original disc. I tried a System Restore, but unfortunately that was disable (I thought I had enabled), a Startup Repair (which found a problem but couldn't fix it), Windows Complete PC Restore (Which couldn't find a backup image). I also tried booting from the operating system on the CD itself and I got this message when trying to fix it:

C:\PCIIDEX.SYS is corrupt.

c:\windows\system32\drivers\pciide.sys is corrupt.

Error code:0x2

I even did a Dell Diagnosis which is installed by default on the hardrive and it came up with this error, but I don't even think it has anything to do with my real problem:

** Hard Drive - DST Short Test **
Test Results: Fail
Error Code 2000-0142
Msg: Hard Drive 0 - self test unsuccessful. Status: 79

If there is anything I can do or any step I can take please let me know. I tried searching all over for solutions but obviously I did not succeed with that. My only option left is to completely format my hardrive and reinstall Windows Vista, which I do not want to do at all. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:40 PM

My only option left is to completely format my hardrive and reinstall Windows Vista, which I do not want to do at all. Thanks!

Kind of senseless to reformat and reinstall if your hard drive is getting read to fail
First run chkdsk f
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-ch...isk-chkdsk.html

Also go to the support site for the manufacturer of the hard drive and download their diagnostic utility and run that

Edited by garmanma, 30 September 2009 - 05:44 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 bvdaily

bvdaily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:10 PM

My only option left is to completely format my hardrive and reinstall Windows Vista, which I do not want to do at all. Thanks!

Kind of senseless to reformat and reinstall if your hard drive is getting read to fail
First run chkdsk f
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-ch...isk-chkdsk.html

Also go to the support site for the manufacturer of the hard drive and download their diagnostic utility and run that

Yeah, but like I said, that wasn't most likely the case, and it wasn't.

What I did was burned that specific file onto a disc and copied it via command prompt onto my PC, and it worked like a charm! Thanks for the help though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users