Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ComboFix Infinite Loop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rappmund1

rappmund1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:30 PM

Hello-

I am running Vista 32bit. I cannot run Malwarebytes or Superantispyware or AVG in regular bootup or safe mode. The programs close down within seconds of opening. I reinstalled the programs but they continue to fail and will not open and work. I installed ComboFix as described on the "guide and tutorial on using ComboFix" site. I understand I should have contacted a professional first before running the software, but unfortunately I didn't- I'll blame my lapse of reason on the fact that I haven't slept since encountering this problem last night.

ComboFix was downloaded to the desktop. I ran it initially from safe mode, but this didn't work so I tried it again from normal boot up. It worked in normal boot and started running but soon encountered a problem. ComboFix reported that I had "C:\windows\system32\fimohinu.dll" running and to make a note of it. ComboFix then restarted the computer. Once in Vista again, ComboFix continued to run to the window that says, "Scanning for infected files . . ." but soon had the following errors:

"ComboFix has detected the presence of rootkit activity and needs to reboot the machine
Kindly note down on paper, the name of each file. We may need it later

c:\Windows\system32\drivers\gasfkyesmqoqvr.sys
c:\Windows\system32\gasfkynvfrftsq.dll
c:\Windows\system32\gasfkycmccftsa.dat
c:\Windows\system32\gasfkydoiimjn.dll
c:\Windows\system32\gasfkyticxtbtq.dat
c:\Windows\system32\gasfkybubaoxou.dll"

When I push OK, the computer reboots and ComboFix loads again. Soon thereafter, the same problem pops up. I have pushed OK a few times now but I always receive the same response. It is obvious, I am in a loop.

I greatly appreciate any help in this matter- I realize I cannot figure this one out on my own and I am hoping a guru will lend a helping hand.

Thanks for your time,

Peter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:45 PM

Welcome to BC
You have a nasty rootkit
The author of Combofix does not own or maintain a website
It states that in the disclaimer

When the DOS window opens try closing it out. That should stop the loop
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 rappmund1

rappmund1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:25 PM

Thanks for writing back- I'm going to try loading Windows on another hard drive and then working on this problem. I'll write again once I get up and running with the new hard drive.

Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users