Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aquiring system disks from Dell

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Steve1953

Steve1953

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:50 PM

I get computers donated by schools and churchs. I make repairs then, I give them to families that cannot afford a computer. I have no problems from IBM, and Compaq. Dell wants to know the this informantion that I can not give.

1. The name of the original owner of the system, or the person who purchased it, or the name of the store where the system was purchased.
2. The name of the company who originally purchased the system, or the company who purchased it for you.
3. Original Bill To Address, the original Ship To Address, or the address of the store where you purchased the system.
With IBM and Compaq, All I do is pay for the shipping and i don't have any problems.

I might start rejecting Dell's
I had to go through transfer of ownership to get the disks sent to me, and it was a long process to get the previous owner name.
I'm still having problems getting the transfer of ownership changed. I think I'll just scrap the dell's!

Edited by Steve1953, 30 September 2009 - 03:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:50 PM

You may want to consider loading the Dell's with a distro of Linux rather than Windows if Dell's gonna be a jerk about it. Ubuntu is very novice friendly and free (Dell even ships some of their computers with it rather than Windows.)

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:51 PM

Their request is not unfair
Why should they hand out OS's to every Tom, Dick and Harry
Why should you be different than anybody else
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:55 PM

IDK, Mark. It seems to me that asking all that info goes way over the line of making sure that neither Tom, Dick, nor Harry are getting disks. As I see it they would be justified only in asking for the Service Tag Number (provided by Dell to uniquely ID computers.) That would adequately prove that the person had access to the hardware. If a particular Service Tag got abused, they could blacklist it. Simple. But they seem to be going out of their way to be jerks about the matter.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 30 September 2009 - 09:56 PM.
Spleling

#5 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:27 PM

They are simply trying to confirm you are the legitimate owner of the system. Dell provides an OS disk free of charge as long as you are in the US and are the registered owner of the system. If not, then you're out of luck. Been that way for as long as I have been following the Dell Users Forum.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#6 Steve1953

Steve1953
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:16 PM

After about two hours on the phone a dozen emails, they agreed to send the disks. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users