Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Device manager woes

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 hhtang

hhtang

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:45 AM

Hi everybody. I'm kinda new here, so sorry if I do/say anything against convention.
I'm posting because I have recently encountered a strange problem with Device Manager on my laptop (Vista Ultimate 32-bit, Dell M1530). Today I had trouble getting my desktop to ping to my laptop and vice versa, through a ethernet network. The issue remained whether I connected directly between computers, or through a switch. I narrowed it down to the fact that it was the laptop's fault (because the desktop can connect to the intranet/internet through the network server provided by the apartment I live in, while the laptop can't), so I decided that it would be a good idea to reinstall the ethernet network adapter drivers and see whether that'll fix it.
To my surprise, when I opened up Device Manager, I found that I cannot access the settings for the driver. When I double click it ("Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller) in Device Manager, it shows up with the following message: "The driver isn't using any resources because it has a problem".
In fact, to my further surprise, double-clicking on any device (USB mouse, graphics driver, sound etc. you name it) brings up either
1) the same message, or
2) nothing at all, or
3) crashes Device Manager!
It seems there is a problem with Device Manager rather than the network adapter itself. I've searched cyberspace for similar problems but there doesn't seem to be any article on it (other problems re: Device Manager involve it being empty - I've got all my devices listed, just that I can't access their settings, or rollback / update drivers etc.). I've tried the following, short of a fresh reinstall, which I am really not so keen on doing unless I really have to:
1) System file repair (without installation DVD). Didn't work.
2) Startup repair (with installation DVD), which was pretty useless seeing that this problem had nothing to do with startup. Didn't work.
3) System restore, to oldest possible date without becoming equivalent to a fresh install. Didn't work.
I am now doing a virus scan. Will keep you posted.
Finally, I don't know whether this is related, but recently someone decided to send me a file from his phone through Bluetooth. Since then a message saying that a driver needs to be installed for a Bluetooth peripheral device keeps popping up every time I turn on Bluetooth. Problem is, even after I've installed fresh drivers the message keeps popping up. Is this somehow related to my previous problem?
BTW, in a strange twist of fate, the pinging between computers started working again, so I could share files between the two now. The device manager and bluetooth issues remain though.
Thanks in advance; looking forward to any helpful responses,
ht

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users