Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer wont restart

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rzabo2004

Rzabo2004

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:40 AM

I been having problems with my computer for a while now and my computer wont restart and I am kinda new to the whole fixing problems. I was told to run a hijackthis scan and they told me to delete or "fix checked" a whole list of stuff that i have no idea what it means so here is my hijackthis log please someone help.

EDIT: Log removed

Edited by garmanma, 01 October 2009 - 09:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:00 AM

<<I was told to run a hijackthis scan...>>

Someone here at BC told you to run a HJT scan and post the results?

HJT is a malware tool...do you think your system is infected with malware?

If not, then I suggest that you edit your post and remove that HJT log data. If you allow it to remain, this thread will be moved to one of our malware forums, where they deal with attempting to solve malware puzzles.

System manufacturer and model?

<<I been having problems with my computer for a while now...>>

You need to go into more specific details...errror messages, types of problems, etc. There is no one generic fix for everything that can possibly go wrong with a computer system.

Louis

#3 Rzabo2004

Rzabo2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:17 AM

HP pavilion A642n. I believe my computer is infected with malware or viruses. I dont know for sure but I talked to a friend that I work with that went to school for computers and I told him my computer wont restart. The screens goes to sleep but the tower stays on and he just laughed at me and he said something is probably not allowing it to restart and remain on. I dont know what the problem is but my only really big problem is I cant get my computer to restart.

Edited by Rzabo2004, 30 September 2009 - 10:19 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:45 PM

Thanks...let's proceed a bit before deciding to send you to one of the malware forums.

Reference Only: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...324&lang=en

<<...and I told him my computer wont restart.>>

Restart? I don't understand. Restart after what? What are you trying to do when this failure to "restart" takes place?

Does the system boot into XP properly when you first turn it on?

<<The screens goes to sleep but the tower stays on...>>

Do you mean that...the system doesn't shut down properly?

What error messages appear onscreen when these failures occur?

When is the last time that your system performed...as you believe it should perform?

Louis

#5 Rzabo2004

Rzabo2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:33 PM

Restart as in after you install some software it asks you your computer needs to reboot in order to finish the installation so i click restart now and the screen goes to sleep but the tower power stays on and there is a little amber colored light under the tower power and it just remains on. The tower just stays like this and the screen stays in sleep mode no error messages. So yes it might not be shutting down properly. When I am in safe mode it will reboot correctly with no problems. The last time I think it performed how it should is like a year and a half ago.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 07:55 AM

Could be many things...when is the last time that you tried the system with a clean install of XP?

The reason I ask...it's very difficult, if not impossible...to troubleshoot issues which may be cumulative over an extensive time period, particularly so with no error messages.

A clean install gives users a base to work from and deal effectively with problems as they occur.

You might take a look in Event Viewer and see if there are any pertinent error messages there.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

You might also try running the chkdsk /r command....and defragging after it completes.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (with space between k and /) and hit Enter.

Type Y in response to onscreen query and hit Enter.

Reboot the system and let the command execute...when done, it will boot into XP. Then defrag the C: partition.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users