Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Our History with computers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:15 AM

I thought it might be kinda nice to look back and remember the early computers that we owned, and share some specs here! It would let us appreciate how far technology has come. I'll start:

Around 1993 we had a Tandy 1000. 2 floppy drives, no HDD, the OS was on a floppy disk. I was about 6 at the time, so I don't remember much about it.

At about the same time, we got an IBM 286 equivalent (I can't remember the brand) I know it had a 4MB HDD, big and small floppy drives, and it actually had VGA :thumbsup: ! We used that for a couple years. It had some classic games on it...

When Win 95 came out, we got an AST computer which we used for (omg) 6 years (or until the 1.9 Ghz P4). 1 Gig Hdd, 8 Megs of ram, 166Mhz P1, 8x CD-ROM. We upgraded it to 64 Megs of ram, a 10 gig drive (2 of it usable) and Win 98. I ripped out (literally) the 10 gig drive and floppy drive when I made my new machine.

At the advent of Win 98, my mom got a Toshiba laptop that we (I) still use today. 266Mhz P1, 4 Gig drive, 24x Cd drive, 32 MB ram (upped to 98Mb). It is now my test machine, and has run Win 98, Win 98 SE, Win XP (heavily tweaked), and Red Hat Linux.

After that, we waited until Win XP had been out for at least a year before getting a brand new HP Pavilion 761c, with typical new (as of 2001) stuff.

Well, that was nostalgic! You're turn!

Lanscader

Edited by Lanscader, 27 July 2005 - 10:18 AM.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 27 July 2005 - 12:03 PM

lets see... i cant remember much of the earlier computers until i was six...

P1 200mhz
32mb (the really old RAM)
4mb 3D accelerator
2 floppys
2 4gig HDs
48x CD drive
has run Win95 and Win98se no probs
I've had this one until i was 13 (3 years ago)

My dads was an AMD K6-2 500mhz
256mb SDRAM
20gig HD
8mb 3D accerelator
32x CD drive
floppy drive
i've only seen it run Win98se... (we still have it!! just cant get it to turn on)

me and my dad used to make computers (put together mobos and etc. and resell them) so we got alot of computers just laying around... BUT these are all 486s bcuz these were for all the early DOS programs.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 flann

flann

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 28 July 2005 - 07:36 AM

I got my first computer back in the early 80's, Texas Instruments TI-99/4A.

16Kb Ram, no hdd, It comes with basic preloaded!!. Sticker on the box says $149.95, and we bought it from Jc Penneys. I had to dig it out of the closet to get the specks. It was made in 1981, this is some real old school type stuff. 256X192 Res, 10" monitor.

My second computer was a IBM 486sx, I don't remember the specs, it had Windows 3.1.

My third and current computer is a Emachines, one of the first I think. I got it in 2000, 633 mhz celeron, upgraded from 32Mb ram to 256Mb. Upgraded from a 10Gb hard drive to 80Gb. Came with Win ME, currently using XP, but have bounced back and forth from different versions of RedHat, to XP.

I'm currently waiting for Vista to come out to purchase a new computer, then I'm going to convert this computer back to a Linux box.

#4 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:42 AM

I don't actually have a lot of history with computers.. my first computer was given to me by my mother and it had Windows 98 on it. After a while the thing started beeping at me constanly.. so I got me a Dell.. hey I'm a newbie.. what did I know. :thumbsup: I have no idea what sort od specs the old 98 machine had.. I had given it to my niece.. I think she has scrapped it by now. lol

Actually, I love my Dell. :flowers:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#5 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,733 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2005 - 01:49 PM

so I got me a Dell.. hey I'm a newbie.. what did I know.

Nothing wrong with a Dell. Just about as close to a 'stardard' config as you can get in a consumer machine. Dell even supplies a full OS disk, not just a restore disk. (Now they are shipping with a restore partitions, but you can get the CD's for the asking).

First PC, 386DX-40, DOS/Win3.1, 4 meg RAM, 80 meg HDD.
Then got for my son, Dell XPS-T700r, Win98, 128 meg RAM, 40G HDD.
Now I have a Dell 4300, WinXP Home, 384 meg RAM, 120G + 40G HDDs.
Son now also has a Dell Inspiron 8600.

The 386 was upgraded to a 486DX2-100 and eventually retired. The three Dells are all still going strong.

Edited by ddeerrff, 28 July 2005 - 01:50 PM.

Derfram
~~~~~~

#6 beachgirl888

beachgirl888

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2005 - 02:58 PM

Hey LegoMan,

GIR ROCKS :thumbsup:
Beachgirl