Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice concerning PC security?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 darthjennifer

darthjennifer

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:22 PM

I have just bought a new computer with Windows Vista. For antivirus, I've chosen to use Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009.

My question is, is this enough? I'm currently trying to deal with a severe malware infection on my old computer with the help of a BC mod, and it's made me wonder if I'm doing enough to protect my new machine. I hesitate to download anything else as I've heard a lot about clashing security programs, but I've also read a lot about how others use multiple programs to protect their systems.

Would anyone give me some advice on this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:32 PM

Kaspersky will 'scream' at you if it has a conflict with other tools. Always remember one 'active' Antivirus but you can have other 'on demand' ones loaded on your machine. And only one software firewall should be installed. The other malware tools are up to you and should be on demand types if you stay with Kaspersky.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 darthjennifer

darthjennifer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:01 PM

What exactly does "on demand" mean? Like I would download them and install them, but not run them unless Kaspersky is disabled and I feel I need to?

How about different types of programs? Would Malwarebytes and Kaspersky be compatible? How about Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009 and Kaspersky Internet Security 2009? Are those two essentially the same thing?

The only firewall I have is Windows Firewall. So I'm running Windows Firewall, Windows Defender, and Kaspersky AV 2009. Does that sound sufficient?

Sorry, I'm so clueless. Thank you for answering!

#4 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:32 AM

Kaspersky Internet Security is a Firewall + Antivirus in one package and would probably be better than your present set up as the Windows Firewall although quite good only protects you from incoming traffic but will not stop for example a malware already on your PC from ringing home. Although as I say, the Windows Firewall is good, most people would advise having two way protection. Your present set up will protect you against internet attacks and viruses. I would also recommend you download and install the following two free programs Superantispyware and Malwarebytes which are both the top rated programs in their respective fields and will pick up tracking cookies and other spy/malware that your antivirus doesn't.

Malwarebytes free edition installs only as an on demand scanner. For real time protection, you would have to have the paid for version but as we don't want to many unnecessary programs running in real time and in order to minimise conflicts it is better just to use the free version and run it once a week manually, remembering each time to update it prior to scanning. Do the same with Superantispyware but once it is installed open the Preferences tab and untick all the boxes except, "Use Windows XP style Menus", in the first column and in the second column, "Do NOT scan when Superantispyware starts". Still in Preferences open the Updates tab and untick the three boxes there. Now SAS is configured as an on demand scanner. Again use it on a once weekly basis by opening the shortcut and then first go to Preferences and click on "Check for Updates Now", A little pop up will appear telling you either you have the latest version of SAS or a new one is available. If a new one is available then install it at once, it will install over the other one leaving your settings intact. Once you have done this close the Preferences tab and on the main interface click on, "Check for Updates" this will update your spyware definitions to the latest version. Once this is done then choose which type of scan you want and let it finish. When finished remember to tick the boxes of anything found and then click on next to put in quarantine where it will not harm your PC. You will also get a pop up from SAS asking to protect your Home Page, you should accept this by checking yes.

Another good free program I would advise you to install is Spywareblaster. It is a program which works unobtrusively in the background using few if any resources and has a huge list of nasties it will stop from installing into your system.

Also download and install the Sysinternals free program Auto Runs. Used in conjunction with the Startup List at the top of this page it will help to keep unnecessary programs from adding themselves to your start up entries. It is a very powerful program so be careful what you untick.

All these programs can be downloaded at File Hippo http://www.filehippo.com/ which I have found to be a safe download site but of course if you would rather get them from the home page of the program mentioned that is up to you, they are easily found at Google. Once you get more confident here is a link to very good site for keeping up with the best and latest freeware http://www.techsupportalert.com/

By the way you must never disable your Firewall or AV for any programs to scan this would be very unsafe unless you really really know what you are doing. All the programs I mentioned are compatible and will run without conflicting with each other.

Edited by bluesjunior, 30 September 2009 - 05:36 AM.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#5 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:15 PM

IMHO far more important is to have safe computing practices.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:22 AM

Choosing a security toolkit with anti-virus, firewall and anti-malware programs is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability and experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular combination that works well for one person may not work as well for another. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone. You may need to experiment and find what is most suitable for your needs. Another factor to consider is whether you want to use paid for products or free alternatives.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

As a general rule, using more than one anti-spyware program like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntispyware, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, etc will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using them as stand-alone scanners. In fact, doing so increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system that can occur when using more than one anti-virus. The overlap of protection from using different signature databases will aid in detection and removal of more threats when scanning your system for malware. However, if using any of their real-time resident shields (TeaTimer, Ad-Watch, MBAM Protection Module, Spyware Terminator Shields, etc) together at the same time, there can be conflicts when each application tries to compete for resources and exclusive rights to perform an action. Additionally, competing tools may even provide redundant alerts which can be annoying and/or confusing. Keep in mind that you can overkill a system with resource heavy security programs that will slow down performance.

Edited by quietman7, 01 October 2009 - 11:24 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users