Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External hard drive problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jtcollins

jtcollins

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:37 PM

I have a Seagate FreeAgent Go 250GB External hard drive. Uses two usb connections that go into the computer. I was listening to music on my iTunes when I tripped over the cord that plugged the computer. The song I was playing was running from the external hard drive at the time.

Now I can't read my external hard drive at all. I tried going into disk management, bios, using tweak ui, checking device manager, and the disk isn't read anywhere. I have also tried to plug it into a computer on campus but it didn't pick it up either. I didn't have admin priv. so I couldn't run the disk management or any other options really. It also makes a weird noise when I plug it in and it just goes in a pattern of that noise being for 5 seconds then going silent for a half second then repeats that pattern. I'm not sure if this same noise was there when the hard drive was working.v I really don't care about using the hard drive again so reformatting isn't my solution I just want to get the data off of it and onton either my computer's hard drive or to another external hard drive.

I didn't know if there was any recommendations or options I could have, even if I have to buy cables, software, and/or hardware to get the data off. I'm not going to go the route of having professionals. I'm very IT savvy just not in the hardware area so I want to do it myself. Any help?

Using Windows XP 32-bit

Edited by jtcollins, 29 September 2009 - 09:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:02 AM

A hard drive that uses two USB connections?

The dock is not a necessary component, it does not need to be connected from what I see. if you have the drive in the dock, remove it and try a direct connection to the system without it.

http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/datasheet/disc/ds_fa_go.pdf

Does the drive show up in My Computer or Disk Management?

If it's reflected in My Computer...then run chkdsk /r by following these procedures.

Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.

Click Properties, and then click Tools.

Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed.

Put check marks in both options (automatically fix/scan for) and then click Start.

Note: If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk.

Then you will either see something about forcing handles closed...or you will see something asserting that the check must be run at Startup/after the next boot. If the question is whether you want to force closing, type Y and hit Enter. The check will begin. If the question is whether you want the check to be run at next boot...type Y and hit Enter. Then reboot the system.

Louis

#3 jtcollins

jtcollins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:06 AM

My hard drive doesn't have a dock. Here is the exact one I have:
http://hardwaretechreview.com/seagate-free...sk-drive-review

It will not display in My Computer, I've tried two different computers.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:45 PM

Well...sounds to me like something vital is dead or impaired...with the result that XP detects no functional device.

The problem is...with that setup, it could be any number of things.

I've not heard of any drive requiring two USB ports...I suppose that might be to compensate for the fact that it has no power-pack of its own to draw from a typical outlet.

Whatever is inside that enclosure...could be at fault. We know that there is a typical hard drive in there...we have no idea what else may be in there that could prevent the drive from functioning properly.

Me...I would have no problem with destroying that enclosure to remove the actual hard drive...and then I would connect that directly to a system/motherboard to see if the drive itself is dysfunctional and to try to access my data.

I see that these drives have 5-year warranties. That's a consideration if you are one of those persons who value such (I don't)...actually trying to get to the hard drive would probably violate your warranty status.

Louis

#5 jtcollins

jtcollins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:13 PM

I've already got the hard drive out of the case. I have a laptop only at my current location so I'm just going to wait and grab a desktop from my hometown in a few weeks and try to connect it straight to that motherboard.

Any other suggestions would be great, I'll let you know if that works or not but it will be awhile til I try it.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users