Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which part's broken?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DTopper

DTopper

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:14 PM

I let someone handle my computer earlier, and now it's stopped working. It was raining while he was carrying it around. Having put two and two together, I'm willing to bet that something important got shorted out. The only question is, which part now needs replacing

I turned on the computer about 30 minutes after the case got rained on (stupid), and it abruptly turned itself off less than a minute after Windows loaded. Now, it's having a lot of trouble booting. Here's the full process:

0-10 seconds - Computer seems to boot up (disk drive lights up, hard drive spins, etc), but the monitor doesn't detect anything
10-15 seconds - Scary red lights flash on the graphics card, and the computer shuts itself off.
15 seconds - Computer turns itself back on. Same story, except it doesn't turn off again.

The computer turning off/on part suggests a power supply issue, but that doesn't explain the trouble with the monitor, so that alone probably isn't it. A shorted out graphics card would explain the monitor issues, but I don't see why it would cause the resets.

My own theory is that the power supply, or the connection between it and the graphics card, is somehow messed up, and that that prevents the graphics card from receiving enough power for the monitor to function, causing the computer to shut down automatically. Any comments or new ideas would be very helpful.

Edited by DTopper, 29 September 2009 - 09:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 windowstech

windowstech

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:24 PM

Try booting up without using the graphics card. Remove it and use the onboard graphics chip.
Windows Tech
MCSE

#3 DTopper

DTopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:42 PM

There is no onboard graphics chip, nothing else to plug the monitor into. Also, the computer seems to follow exactly the same reboot process whether or not the graphcs card is in.

#4 DTopper

DTopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:46 PM

Fun fact: there's still moisture where the graphics card plugs into the mobo. Given this, what part is more likely to be fubar, the mobo or the graphics card?

#5 DTopper

DTopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:28 PM

I'm letting the computer dry out for now, but I'm guessing that the damage has already been done. If things don't improve, I'll see what I can do about getting another graphics card to plug into the motherboard.

In the meantime, would a bad connection between the motherboard and the graphics card be responsible for the problems I've had so far? If so, which is more likely to be broken?

#6 ProgressiveComputing

ProgressiveComputing

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:14 AM

Hi, I would say it is your motherboard that is damaged, although it could possibly be both, If it does the same with the graphics card out then I would say motherboard. A cheap way to check if you have no other ideas is to buy a really cheap graphics card for maybe 10 and see if this makes a difference, If it does then its your motherboard :thumbsup:

Tom - Progressive Computing

#7 DTopper

DTopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:36 PM

Looks like the story has a happy ending. I left the motherboard and the graphics card apart overnight and let them dry, and everything seems to be working fine now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users