Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get out of safe mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 theleo

theleo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:04 PM

Compaq Presario desk 2.0 mhz 512 ram. Used for recording and is online. XP home, two internal drives

The problem started with an unidentified Trojan or something. I used Malware bytes with sucess with the computer off-line (un-plugged) but when I went back on line it reappeared. I have since isolated the source as a dubious piece of software.

The problem first appeared as a blank (not black) screen after the welcome splash and all I could do was ctrl+alt+del to open task manager. I rebooted into safe mode several times and opened msconfig and did a load all drivers re-start and got the same result. Blank screen no right click.

The next problem to occur was I lost access to msconfig while I was in safe mode. In addition I could not get to the recovery console via F10 to try any other boot options.
So at this point I could not open any drive or USB port and pretty well figured I was outta luck and dead in the water, so I did a fresh install because the majority of my recordings and recording software was on my secondary internal drive.

Then next problem to occur is that it would not install in safe mode (which I was stuck in) and I would get an applet that tells me that it needs to re-start because it can't install in safe mode, which it would do over and over. Another dead end.

I have since re-installed XP home in a small partition on my primary drive and can see all my old files on my primary C drive, but when offered a choice at boot, if I choose the old setup it takes me to the point where the first attempt at an install left off, which is the light blue screen of install and the with the same "can't install in safe mode" error.

While I am back in business I still need to recover the original installation, again I can see all the files and folders but I can't get out of both safe mode and the aborted install.

This is my first post here and I hope I have offered the information clearly, please feel free to fuss if I did not.

Leo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:29 AM

I have since re-installed XP home in a small partition on my primary drive and can see all my old files on my primary C drive

You are in a good position to be able to fix the "stuck in safe-mode" problem easily.

Using your "secondary" Windows installation ...
On the problematic system drive, find the boot.ini file at the root of the drive.
Open boot.ini with a text editor (such as Notepad).
At the end of one of the lines ... if you see the following switch or any part of it, delete the switch (do NOT alter anything else), save the file and close it.

Mode: Safe Mode
Switch: /safeboot:minimal /sos /bootlog /noguiboot

Now, with your XP installation CD inserted, boot the computer from the CD and continue ....

You said: "I hope I have offered the information clearly, please feel free to fuss if I did not"
So, here I am going to fuss: I am not sure what you were trying to do, either a "repair install", or "fresh install" as you said.
If you wish to use the operating system along with your existing software programs again, as well as retain your existing files, you are going to have to do a "repair install".
If you are going to do a "fresh install" (and I take that to mean a "clean install'), then you should wipe the whole hard drive clean, and then partition and format and install XP. Doing this would delete all your files.

You said: "I still need to recover the original installation" and "see all my old files on my primary C drive"
From the above comments, I think that I can infer that you wish to retain and use the "old" operating system and all your files. In this case you must proceed with the "repair install" option.
--------------

Edit: After a "repair install" you will then have to deal with the malware problem! You will also have to install Windows updates.

Edit2: Oh .... and WELCOME to BC !

Edited by AustrAlien, 30 September 2009 - 06:44 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 theleo

theleo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:27 AM

Thank you very much AustrAlien, you were very helpful and it worked! :thumbsup:

I am still working carefully and slowly with the repair of the original install because I can still access most of my docs so now I'm in no rush.

Now, with my new clean install, the original OS disc that came with the computer was SP1. Simple, I'll install then update.
The problem is a failed (BIT) install and now I have no access to anything that mentions "Microsoft".

I re-ran MalwareBytes and got it as clean as I know how, un-installed MWB's and re-booted. Internet works fine, except Microsoft. I need to continue updating and need at least SP2 for some software (and to be in the 20th century :flowers:)

Once I'm back up to speed I'll install SP3 if I feel it necessary.

You are already my hero...now I'm shooting for "SuperHero" if you can solve this. :trumpet:

Thanks again, and thanks also for the welcome to BC!

PS: I do try to search before asking.

Leo
www.leodean.com

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 04:24 PM

works fine, except Microsoft. I need to continue updating and need at least SP2 for some software (and to be in the 20th century :thumbsup:)
Once I'm back up to speed I'll install SP3

Microsoft no longer supports SP1.

To download SP1a &/or SP2 ....
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

You said: "Internet works fine, except Microsoft."
This can also be the result of malware ... ?
Can you download to another computer and transfer the Microsoft update file to the problematic one and then install the update.
I think perhaps (and it is most likely) that you need to continue with cleaning malware from the system and you may wish to seek help .... by posting in the BC "Am I Infected" forum ... ?

Pleased to see that it is "so far so good" for you ...

Edited by AustrAlien, 30 September 2009 - 04:31 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users