Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ComboFix caused another problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 wyz

wyz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:48 PM

I was fixing a computer for a friend. It had spyware/viruses that pop up fake antirus programs and also changed registry keys for task manager and menu items like tools/folder options to 1 on the Dword so that they would not open, show up, or were greyed out. I couldnt even open the regedit file in safemode! I found your UnHookExec.inf file and right clicked and installed, and got access to the registry keys. I found instructions through google on setting various registry keys to 0 to turn on features that I needed such as show hidden files and folders and file extensions so that I could rename the malwarebytes.exe file to fool.scr. However, the first time I didnt get that I needed to rename each exe and filename as I installed it, including the folder, so it didnt work.

I then tried the combofix and it said it found 6 rootkits and removed them with a message on reboot that a file didnt exist and kept running over each time.

I finally ended it and that is when I was left with a slow opening start/my computer. Please tell me how to make My Computer open faster than 2 minutes (it used to pop open right away after selecting before I ran the combofix that found

c:\windows\system32\drivers\kbiwkmibnrbomw.sys
c:\windows\system32\kbiwkmyfjwxnmb.dll
c:\windows\system32\kbiwkmhvbbwvbx.dat
c:\windows\system32\kbiwkmjgedlwxu.dll
c:\windows\system32\kbiwkmbnykvxbq.dat
c:\windows\system32\kbiwkmowypreet.dll

Please tell me if I need to run Windows XP repair or if there is another solution.
(I have since gotten malwarebytes to run and removed 141 backdoors, malware, spyware and various outher nasties, and found 6 more so far on the full scan, but still cant open my computer fast enough).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wyz

wyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:19 AM

I ran Ad-Aware in safe mode and then there was a drivers issue and the OS would not boot unless I did last known good configuration, on every boot up! Drivers would uninstall but then reinstall corrupted each boot up, and hence another BSOD. However, the slow "My Computer" opening was resolved. The XP CD that the user was sent was actually an upgrade so the reinstall failed until they get the new CD. However, the repartition/reformat went fine.

I was fixing a computer for a friend. It had spyware/viruses that pop up fake antirus programs and also changed registry keys for task manager and menu items like tools/folder options to 1 on the Dword so that they would not open, show up, or were greyed out. I couldnt even open the regedit file in safemode! I found your UnHookExec.inf file and right clicked and installed, and got access to the registry keys. I found instructions through google on setting various registry keys to 0 to turn on features that I needed such as show hidden files and folders and file extensions so that I could rename the malwarebytes.exe file to fool.scr. However, the first time I didnt get that I needed to rename each exe and filename as I installed it, including the folder, so it didnt work.

I then tried the combofix and it said it found 6 rootkits and removed them with a message on reboot that a file didnt exist and kept running over each time.

I finally ended it and that is when I was left with a slow opening start/my computer. Please tell me how to make My Computer open faster than 2 minutes (it used to pop open right away after selecting before I ran the combofix that found

c:\windows\system32\drivers\kbiwkmibnrbomw.sys
c:\windows\system32\kbiwkmyfjwxnmb.dll
c:\windows\system32\kbiwkmhvbbwvbx.dat
c:\windows\system32\kbiwkmjgedlwxu.dll
c:\windows\system32\kbiwkmbnykvxbq.dat
c:\windows\system32\kbiwkmowypreet.dll

Please tell me if I need to run Windows XP repair or if there is another solution.
(I have since gotten malwarebytes to run and removed 141 backdoors, malware, spyware and various outher nasties, and found 6 more so far on the full scan, but still cant open my computer fast enough).

#3 syler

syler

• Malware Response Team
  • 8,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:47 AM

Thanks for letting us know :(

Since this issue appears resolved ... this Topic is closed. Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending me a PM
with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

unite.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users