Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Previously-working Computer no longer boots

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nixpins

nixpins

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 27 July 2005 - 08:55 AM

Hello, all. I recently (roughly 3 weeks ago) bought all the components for a new computer, assembled it, got it working, etc. It was running fine - aside from the fact that the cpu was running at 66C, which can be attributed to me using a little bit too much thermal paste. Anyway, after a failed Gentoo Linux install, a successful Windows 2000 install, and few weeks of solid operation, I find it turned off (it had previously been on), and it wouldn't start back up. No POST, or anything at all. I tried all manner of basic things (checking to see if any cables came loose, making sure nothing was smoking), and then tested to make sure it wasn't the power supply. After a lengthy procedure involving opening up two separate computers (the new one and the one I currently am typing from), I connected the power supply of the new computer to the motherboard of the older computer, and pushed the power button. The fact that it successfully turned on frustrated me a bit, as a faulty power supply is a lot easier to fix (replace) than is this mystery problem.

Anyway, I went ahead and decided, at that point, that it had to be the cpu and it's little thermal problem. After waiting through the weekend to get some Arctic Silver from Newegg, I applied it to the cpu, hooked everything back up, and... it still didn't work. However, I did notice that, as I connected the power cable to the power supply, the cpu and psu fans whirred, the leds on the front of the dvd-rw drive lit up, and the hard drive could audibly be heard doing its thing as well. The lights that were attached to the case (they're kind of like led headlights, really) also lit up, along the order of "short pulse-short pause-short pulse", all in the space of about a second and a half. I figured that this might have been something similar to BIOS beep codes, but I've been unable to find anything indicating what such would mean.

Oh. I suppose I should list the specs of the individual components, courtesy of Newegg:

Case: POWMAX ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 400W Power Supply - Retail
MB: Chaintech S1689 Socket 939 ULi M1689 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon 9600 256MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - OEM
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice Integrated into Chip FSB Socket 939 - Retail
PSU: pqi Power Series 512MB 184-Pin DDR400 (PC3200) - Retail
HD: Western Digital Caviar SE 80GB 7200 RPM Ultra ATA100 HD - OEM
NEC Beige IDE DVD Burner - OEM

Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone who actually reads this long post. Hope you can help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nixpins

nixpins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 27 July 2005 - 05:01 PM

Ah, nevermind. From searching around other forums, I've learned it probably is an issue with my power supply, as it only supplies 12 amps on the 12 volt rail. (Ouch.) Thanks anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users