Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Used ComboFix, lost Internet connection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky65

Rocky65

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 04:00 PM

Hi,
I am a brand new poster to this site. I have looked for info but not found it yet.
I picked up a trojan or so I thought. I search the web for help and found a link for Combofix. Like a idiot I just downloaded it and ran it. My only problem is I cannot fix my internet connection since running ComboFix. The rest of the computer runs fine.
I found info on Major Geeks site (which is how I got to your site) and started to go through the Malware cleaning process. When it came to Combofix I did not run it again but all the simple steps to repair the internet connection will not work. Of course Windows says there is no problem with the Local Area Connectin Status. I did not finish the Malware cleaning process as Major Geeks referred me to your site for help.

I am using DLink router DI-624 which is connected to the problem computer via Cat 5. My laptop uses one other wired and another laptop uses the wireless function. These other computers access the web just fine.

I do have logs from the cleaning process.

Thanks for the help

Edited by The weatherman, 29 September 2009 - 04:26 PM.
Removed email addres to avoid Spam.~Tw

Why are mice when they spin?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 04:31 PM

Log on as an administrator, go Start > Run and type: "cmd". In the window that appears type: "netsh winsock reset". When the program is finished, you will receive the message: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset." Close the command box and reboot your computer.

Go Start > Run > type: "cmd" In the window that appears type: "ipconfig /flushdns". Close the command box.

Go Start > Control Panel > Network Connections. Right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and and choose Properties. Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item. Select the radio button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically". Reboot.

Warning: Some Internet Service Providers need specific DNS settings. You need to make sure that you know if such DNS settings are required before you make this change.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Rocky65

Rocky65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:42 PM

Thanks for the info. It worked. Can you tell me why Combofix does this and should I never use it again?

Why are mice when they spin?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:29 AM

Malware infection caused the problem, not ComboFix.

Please note the message text in blue at the top of the Am I infected? What do I do? forum.

ComboFix logs should not to be posted outside the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum and then only when requested by a HJT Team member. It is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. That's the decision by the creator and we will abide by that decision.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 BubbaT

BubbaT

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:28 AM

Log on as an administrator, go Start > Run and type: "cmd". In the window that appears type: "netsh winsock reset". When the program is finished, you will receive the message: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset." Close the command box and reboot your computer.

Sorry but curiousity has the best of me. What is the Winsock Catalog?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:29 AM

What is Winsock

Winsock, the consortium-based networking application programming interface (API), is extensible by a mechanism known as the Winsock Service Provider Interface (SPI). The SPI provides a mechanism for layering providers on top of each other. Providers that are layered in this fashion are called Winsock Layered Service Providers (LSPs). Winsock LSPs are available for a wide range of useful purposes, including parental controls and Web content filtering. The specific layering order of all providers is kept in the Winsock Catalog. In previous versions of Windows Server 2003, improperly removed LSPs (possibly due to poorly implemented LSP install/removal code) could result in corruption of the Winsock Catalog, potentially resulting in a loss of all network connectivity...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library...28WS.10%29.aspx

Repair/Reset Winsock settings
Netsh Commands for Windows Sockets
Example Winsock Catalog Provider Entry

Edited by quietman7, 03 October 2009 - 09:30 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users