Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering lost Gigs...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Wee

Wee

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:37 AM

I gots me a shiny new 500 gb seagate from Microcenter for like 45 bucks!! Problem is my roommate installed before I got home, into an older XP machine. Obviously in only recognized 137 gigs. Of course he did not know this and formatted it and reinstalled xp on it. My question is.......is all my new found room lost forever, because if it is, I will just throw the 120 gig back in and just use the new drive for some storage. BTW he is going to buy me 2 cases of Corona's to make up for it...hell that's almost the cost of the drive itself :thumbsup: Thanks for any help you guys....laters.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:52 PM

If I recall correctly, merely installing SP1 or greater should make the extra space visible, though not available contiguous to the original partition; you'll end up with two partitions. If there's nothing important on the drive, I'd say slipstream SP3 onto a CD and do a fresh install. Either that or install SP1 or greater (preferably greater) and then either just work with two partitions or resize the existing one.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 29 September 2009 - 12:54 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 01:01 PM

Not a problem at all :thumbsup:.

You have lots of options.

The "137GB barrier" effectively disappeared with SP1 of XP...any version of XP which includes at least SP1...does not encounter this situation.

XP SP1 Overcomes 137GB Barrier - http://www.datarecovery.com.sg/data_recove...for_windows.htm

I have to assume that your roommate used such an older version of XP...for the install. That or your roommate still thinks that some means other than the XP CD is required to create a system/boot partition. I don't know.

One of your choices...and the one that I would recommend...is to install a program that will facilitate making the current XP install partition...smaller, rather than larger.

Example: Easeus Partition Master - http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-parti...g-partition.htm. Free, easy to use, allows the user to adjust the size of any partition...anytime...provided that directions are followed and the hard drive has sufficient room to work properly.

Having XP installed on a large partition (over 40GB, I prefer 20GB) yields no advantages to the user. In fact, it yields disadvantages that can be easily avoided.

Having just one large C: partition on 1 drive in a system...slightly retards system performance. It also makes it much more difficult to conduct routine system maintenance chores (chkdsk /r and defrag) by forcing the system to scan much more territory than it needs to scan at one time.

A much better arrangement is obtained by using a small system partition (containing XP and all programs installed and all critical updates) along with a data partition (containing all miscellaneous data files that have no reason to be on the system partition).

An even better arrangement (IMO) is obtained by using multiple hard drives, rather than just a single hard drive...for data storage. This would spread the risk of inability to access data files in the event of hard drive failure...spreading the risk is the next best thing to eliminating the risk, IMO.

As I said, you have options.

You can just reinstall XP again on the same drive, using an updated, slipstreamed install CD.

If your system reflects any of the SPs issued, this (creation of a slipstreamed XP CD) should be done, in any case. Doing so will facilitate any repair or reinstall efforts that must take place in the future.

Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

nLite - Deployment Tool for Unattended Windows - Guide - http://www.nliteos.com/guide/index.html

As previously suggested, you can install a program like the one linked to above...and just resize your partition size so that it reflects the entire useful space of the hard drive.

You could also just use the XP Disk Management tool to create one or more new partitions out of the Unallocated Space currently reflected on the drive.

Disk Management - http://www.theeldergeek.com/disk_management.htm

If it were me, I would use the 120GB drive for two things, creating two partitions: XP and the remainder would be for data storage. The new drive would solely be used for data storage of backups, etc. That's how I employ my drives, using the older one for either data storage (the ones larger than 120GB) or to install XP on (I create a 20GB partition for XP, etc. and use the rest as a temporary storage partition of its own).

Large hard drives were created to give users more storage capacity, not to create larger system partitions.

In any case...you decide what you want to do and someone can tell you exactly how to do it.

Louis

I'd still take the Corona :flowers:...no point in letting your roommate know any of this...and why let good beer go to waste?

#4 Wee

Wee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 01:21 PM

Cool I can those, but 1 quick question.....I currently have the drive hooked up to my Vista machine ( work computer). Is there any thing that can be done to it here ?? It shows up with the same 130 gigs but I have not done anything to it beside hooking it up ( via sata2). Oh and thanks for the quick replies !!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 01:34 PM

What...is it that you want to do...from a second system?

If all you want to do is format the unallocated space...that can be done from Device Manager, anytime, anyplace where Device Manager reflects the drive properly.

Louis

#6 Wee

Wee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 01:51 PM

You were right the OG xp disc in pre SP1. I just hooked it up to Vista earlier before starting topic to see if vista would do something different with it.........I guess I will rehook to the XP machine...I have sp3 available so I will work on it later. Again tx for all the input. C-ya.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:00 PM

You are welcome...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#8 Wee

Wee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:53 AM

Progress report : Success.....465 free gigs of happiness !! As always you guys Rock !! TY

Edited by Wee, 30 September 2009 - 11:54 AM.

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:57 AM

Darn whippersnappers and their googoobites...

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users