Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UAC & 0xc0000022 ( explorer.exe ) Help please

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Clay Guthrie

Clay Guthrie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:53 AM

Hello all,

I'm having an issue with a laptop running Vista Home Premium. The issue is that when we log into the laptop ( any account ) explorer.exe crashes with a 0xc0000022 error. Usually i get this error followed by an explorer.exe has stopped working as well as a "calendar.exe" and "Windows Mobile PC Presentation Adapter" has stopped working. after ending the tasks it takes me to a solid black screen. I CAN use task manager to launch programs without issue however. After googling for hours I've confirmed that it is indeed a security issue, however found no helpful solutions. Upon my own tinkering i've discovered the following...

(1) if i turn off UAC this DOES NOT happen.

(2) i can use task manager to launch explorer.exe ONLY if i first select the view processes from all users

(Crazy i know, but I've tinkered and it's not just a coincidence.)

(3) Malwarebytes, Defender and AVG returned no found infections.

(4) Restoring system to a prior time does NOTHING for this issue.

Has anyone had this issue occur? And if so what are some ways to correct it the right way. I do not want to disable UAC permanently for security reasons.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 02:45 PM

Hello. Is there more to the error. Is it in a box ,if so what does it say in the top of the box.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Clay Guthrie

Clay Guthrie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:26 PM

Nope, that's it. You put your login information in and press enter and the "hourglass" spins a second or two and then you get a message box that says "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022)". Once you hit OK, you get three boxes informing you that the applications explorer.exe, calendar.exe and the Mobile PC Presentation Adapter have quit working....hit close on all three boxes and then it sits there on a black screen..... nothing happens unless you press ctrl+alt+del and start it manually.

But as i said, if i were just to try to open explorer.exe without first choosing "see processes from all users" it gives the same error again. However, if i first select that option and then try to start explorer, it fires right up first try. After i choose to see all processes, i am not opening, altering or touching any other process...just telling vista yes i am sure ( that i want to see all processes) and then manually starting explorer.

#4 Clay Guthrie

Clay Guthrie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:21 AM

I'm assuming it has to be security related, but all of the security permissions are set accurately on explorer.exe. Is there a way to "reset" UAC?

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:12 PM

Try this .. Vista Tutorial - UAC Corrupted in SP1
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Clay Guthrie

Clay Guthrie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:14 AM

Tried the admin account as well as the removal tool. Also noticed that the user did not have SP1 installed, so i installed it. Now i do not get a crash of any kind on startup, but explorer NEVER opens...even left it up all night. And, when i hit ctrl+alt+del i cannot even get task manager to launch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users