Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer in French suddenly. Help

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 marisab

marisab

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:53 AM

O.k. so certain things on my computer are french suddenly!?!??! I checked the language in control panel...says english...checked the language in my browser...english....

It's not everything that's french...just like the save box etc. Here is a screenshot to help you see.....
Posted Image

Any ideas would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chip Smith

Chip Smith

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:41 PM

Something like this might happen if the file MFC42LOC.DLL is present in the System32 folder. Try this, rename the file MFC42LOC.DLL (to something like MFC32LOC.DLL.OLD) present in the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

#3 marisab

marisab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 06:36 PM

That .dll doesn't exist on my computer. I searched it, and also went into the folder and "hand searched" for it.

#4 Gammers

Gammers

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:20 PM

Hello Marisab,

I'm looking at this -- though I have never seen such a problem and am not sure I can help.

Have you recently installed or removed any software on your computer?

Is your computer a single family computer at home OR is it on a network?

What OS are you using, Windows XP? What SP?

Did your OS come with your computer or did someone install it?

The webpage in the background of the graphic you showed, is about a Canadian show. Are you in Canada? Do you know if the French language package is installed on your computer?

If you go to Control Panel, Regional and Language Options, what language do you see on the Regional Options tab and what do you see on the Advanced tab.

After what occurrence did you first see this language change?

Editted: What browser do you use?

Gammers

Edited by Gammers, 29 September 2009 - 07:21 PM.

#5 Gammers

Gammers

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:42 PM

Also...

Marisab,

Hmmm so curious!

What program were you using at the time you got the "Enregistrer sous" dialog box instead of the "Open" dialog box?

I know this is a strange question...but to you have the link to that Reptile show webpage AND don't forget to tell me what browser you are using.

Can you click around your computer and tell us what other things you see in French, what program are you in when you see them. Was that program recently installed or changed?

Have you recently had any automatic program updates downloaded that you know of?

Gammers

#6 Gammers

Gammers

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:18 PM

Hello Chip,

That was interesting about the MFC42LOC.DLL. I found something on the web where people were getting German in Paint and Wordpad and it was evidently due to that file. Their renaming it resolved the problem. Those messages were from 2005.

I found a webpage discussing something called "dependencywalker" -- it mentioned the following:

>>Both MFC42LOC.DLL and CMCTLENU.DLL are language specific resource DLLs that may not be needed on your system.<<

I'm wondering if having cmctlenu.dll on the system my cause a similar problem to what Marisab is seeing? Perhaps a similar problem to having MFC42LOC.DLL on a system when it is unneeded.

I tried to get my dialog boxes reading in French, but I am unable -- can't quite figure that out.

I did read somewhere about "Windows PowerShell 1.0 Multilingual User Interface (MUI) Language Pack for Windows Server 2003 and for Windows XP." I'm completely ignorant about the latter, would installing it permit someone to have the common dialog box in French? If so, is it possible that having that on a machine, by accident or whatever, could cause the problem Marisab is seeing?

I did see something that made me think that if that got installed, it could be removed via the Control Panel Add\Remove of "Windows PowerShell."

Gammers

#7 marisab

marisab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:20 PM

I haven't downloaded anything lately. I have run programs Advanced SystemCare 3 and Maleware to search for anything wrong...nothing. I use Avira virus protection.

I am using windows xp media center edition.

I use Google Chrome for a browser.

The french only comes up when I go to save or open something with that same window you see in the shots. There is no other french anywhere. It happens when I try to save something off the net, or if I click "upload" on a photo hosting site, the box that shows my desktop...french. Photoshop same thing.

That website is a website I have been visiting for 7 years. It's nothing new and I believe has nothing to do with it. but I may be wrong? They haven't changed anything.

My computer is a single user. No network.

#8 Gammers

Gammers

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:28 PM

Hello Marisab,

This sounds specific to Google Chrome, unless I'm misunderstanding.

I don't know if GC is another application or if it sits within IE. Either way, I'm wondering if it is difficult to remove. I might be tempted to uninstall it and see if the French remains an issue.

You might also want to head for a forum where people are discussing GC to see if anyone else is having a similar issue.

I might also want to go to a number of the reputable scan sites to make sure that you are both able to run a scan and then see what the scan comes up with.

Keep us posted, eh?

Gammers

#9 Gammers

Gammers

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:32 PM

Marisab,

I don't know whether you have already dealt with this or whether it has anything to do with the issue you are having, but you might want to go to this GC webpage:

http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/a...mp;answer=95416

On that page it discusses languages.

BTW, have you ever had French on your computer, have you tried to install or use it, etc?

I'm wondering about that webpage -- it is Toronto, I wonder if there is a French setting on that page, or any of the others you are looking at and if something is getting tangled up with GC. I can only guess. But...I think you have said that this occurs at a number of different sites. I just wonder if GC might have hooked you up with a French option due to something in a webpage at some point that was French or whatever.

I'm really interested in your final solution to this.

Gammers

#10 Chip Smith

Chip Smith

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:06 AM

Hello Chip,

That was interesting about the MFC42LOC.DLL. I found something on the web where people were getting German in Paint and Wordpad and it was evidently due to that file. Their renaming it resolved the problem. Those messages were from 2005.

I found a webpage discussing something called "dependencywalker" -- it mentioned the following:

>>Both MFC42LOC.DLL and CMCTLENU.DLL are language specific resource DLLs that may not be needed on your system.<<

I'm wondering if having cmctlenu.dll on the system my cause a similar problem to what Marisab is seeing? Perhaps a similar problem to having MFC42LOC.DLL on a system when it is unneeded.

I tried to get my dialog boxes reading in French, but I am unable -- can't quite figure that out.

I did read somewhere about "Windows PowerShell 1.0 Multilingual User Interface (MUI) Language Pack for Windows Server 2003 and for Windows XP." I'm completely ignorant about the latter, would installing it permit someone to have the common dialog box in French? If so, is it possible that having that on a machine, by accident or whatever, could cause the problem Marisab is seeing?

I did see something that made me think that if that got installed, it could be removed via the Control Panel Add\Remove of "Windows PowerShell."

Gammers

This problem rang a bell for me, I've fixed a PC not too long ago where the .dll fix resolved the issue. My next guess would be something with the settings in GC (from what I've noticed, it shares some of the settings with IE -- so maybe try to replicate the issue in IE) ...then again it may be the multi-language packs that are doing it.

#11 marisab

marisab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:10 AM

Hi guys.

Well the problem does not just occur in google chrome.

It happens even in Adobe photoshop. Here is a screenshot of me trying to save/open something while in Adobe.

Posted Image

I did check the google chrome settings as soon on the webpage someone just posted...I made sure everything was english. I have no adds ons to my browser.

I did a search on the new .dll you guys mentioned....the first as well...nothing. Those don't exist on my computer.

BTW, have you ever had French on your computer, have you tried to install or use it, etc?

No. I bought this computer brand new and put windows xp on myself. No problems for over a year now.

I might also want to go to a number of the reputable scan sites to make sure that you are both able to run a scan and then see what the scan comes up with.

I am willing to try this if you guys think possibly some form of whatever has caused this problem. Any suggestions?

Thank you all so much...still have the issue as of right now. :thumbsup:

#12 marisab

marisab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:00 PM

Still speaking french over here. :thumbsup: It's really bizarre.

#13 Gammers

Gammers

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:09 AM

Hello Marisab,

I'm kinda stumped but found something tonight on this page:

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/referen...p/changeUI.mspx

In your computer, go to Start\Control Panel\Regional and Language Options and click on the "Languages" tab.

Now...look on that tab, do you have a setting like you see at the above MS page? i.e. one that says:

"Language used in menus and dialogs."

In other words, that setting would be under the "Supplemental language support" option (below it, that is.)

IF you do not have that, neither do I, not in my WinXP SP2 Media Center version. IF you do have that setting, see if it says "French" - try fiddling with that.

AGAIN, IF you have that setting -- fine -- if not, I am wondering if some file on your computer exists to make that setting, and it got switched or something and you can't switch it back because you don't have the setting. I'm kinda clueless, fishing around and thinking.

As far as I can tell, and it is unfamiliar turf for me, that setting must get put there when a person installs the Windows MUI. Did you ever install that?

Gammers

#14 Gammers

Gammers

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:26 AM

Marisab,

Can you check the drive where you have windows installed to see if there are any files with the extensions of:

*.chm
*.mui

Do you know how to do that? Start\Search\Files or Folders, select All Files and Folders. In the box that says "All or part of the file name" enter the following:

*.chm

Make sure that the drive upon which your Windows is install is in the "Look in" box.

Try searching for the *.chm files, then try searching for *.mui files. Do you have any on your drive?

By the way, have you ever installed a program called "Open GL" OR have you installed the "OpenGL Utility Toolkit?'

Gammers

#15 Gammers

Gammers

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:45 PM

More thoughts, your computer glitch is under my skin...

I wish someone who knew what this was would just hop in, but until they do, maybe we can keep working on this and the rescuers will come with an answer or join us in looking for the needle in the haystack.

Let's hit a few questions again.

I asked:
>>Have you recently installed or removed any software on your computer?<<

You responded:
>>I haven't downloaded anything lately.<<

So...
A. You haven't "installed" anything either, i.e. from a CD, thumb drive or otherwise either? Has anyone used your computer and done this without asking you? Have they installed from a device or downloaded anything?

B. When was the last time you downloaded and installed something, think back on any of the numerous things and what
they were (think back over the last year). You have Google Chrome on, when did you put that on?

Note: maybe one of the people in here can tell us how to get a list of newly installed files by using some type of tricky software they know how to use for this :flowers: I wonder if ComboFix does this -- or something else that is used for cleaning up virus/trojans.

C. So, what automatically updates with software updates on your machine? I HATE automatic updates, they do things silently and if I get a glitch, I am clueless of what did it. SO...do you let everything install willy nilly when it wants? (most people do, but we need to figure this out.) You have mentioned Adobe Photoshop...does that automatically update? I am fairly sure that Google Chrome does that. What else? Windows? Did you install SP3? Have you installed other updates from Windows?

Last night as I was trying to go to sleep brainstorming your situation... I thought, "Why only a partial bit of French in those dialog boxes" (note to self, I think those are called "common dialog" boxes.) I wondered if several files in Windows builds the varying pieces of the text seen on them, i.e. all boxes might have the same buttons or options on them, so there might be a "common" file used to dictate the language for those. Maybe other text is determined by other files... i.e. we still see "my computer" and "my networks" and, in the one drop list, we still see "all formats." BUT it is the common bits that are in french... "Regarder dans" and "Nom du fichier" and "Ouvrir" and "Annuler." So...I'm wondering what file builds that onto those dialog boxes. Maybe someone has a clue.

Ultimately, I wondered if there was something in the Windows Registry that gets set by the Windows MUI files that dictates the "Language used in menus and dialogs." I am not afraid to work in my Windows registry, if you are...please don't unless you have someone tell you how to back it up and restore it first. BUT...could "hunting through it" hurt?

I was thinking of searching the registry for the word "French" but maybe Windows uses a language code :thumbsup: I'll bet someone might know where the Windows Registry settings for "Language used in menus and dialogs" is -- maybe we can find that and see if that isn't as it should be?

Gammers

Edited by Gammers, 03 October 2009 - 12:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users