Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free ware?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Rodasm

Rodasm

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:44 AM

Perhaps I'm naive but I thought 'free' meant it doesn't cost anything.
I have been on many sites looking for free dvd burning. It says free untill you download it, then it's useless without dipping into your pocket.
I know I can buy a programme but as I don't do a lot of burning I thought it would be nice if it was free.
I went on Grinler's freeware replacement list and dowloaded burning software shown on there. It claimed...a Windows XP .NET 2.0 application that can be used to burn CD-R/CD-RW/DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD+R/DVD+RW/DVD+R DL/BD-RE. It includes the ability to burn both data disk, audio disk and video disk (include VCD and DVDs) - twardnw
Good eh? Actually all it did for free was burn cd's. "It includes the ability" ok, but not without crossing their palms with silver first
No such thing as a free meal.
I suppose trades descriptions doesn't apply to the internet! :thumbsup:
I'm not criticising Grinler, just the con merchants

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:14 AM

Didn't you see imgburn?
Go no further
http://www.imgburn.com/

Some sites offer free cut down versions but you really have to search their site for it
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Rodasm

Rodasm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:03 PM

Thanks Garmanma.
Iíve downloaded it. Now all I have to do is go through 105 pages of guff which may be a bit taxing on me old brain, emphasis on old :thumbsup:
In the memorable words of Captain Lawrence Oats, "and I may be some time" :flowers:

Edited by Rodasm, 29 September 2009 - 03:31 PM.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:09 AM

When I read the first line of the original post, I got all excited because I thought I was going to be able to give my eight hour discourse on the meanings of Free (Libra) and Free (Gratis) software, starting with a brief (90 minutes) lecture on the history of the Free Software Foundation followed by a twenty minute condensed talk on the life and times of Richard M. Stallman, then segueing into an analysis of the GNU General Public License, version 1, followed by a comparative between versions 1,2, and 3 of the GNU GPL (3 hours), a ten minute coffee break, and finishing off with a three hour seminar dissecting Eric S. Raymond's seminal essay "The Cathedral and the Bazaar," Neal Stephanson's monumental treastise "In the Beginning Was The Command Line," and finally the collected works of J.R.R. Tolkien and how they model the ideal of the gift economy in pretechnological times.

Sadly, I was mistaken. But ImgBurn is a superior program. I'd also point you at DVDFlick, which uses ImgBurn as it's burning engine.

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:44 AM

When I read the first line of the original post, I got all excited because I thought I was going to be able to give my eight hour discourse on the meanings of Free (Libra) and Free (Gratis) software, starting with a brief (90 minutes) lecture on the history of the Free Software Foundation followed by a twenty minute condensed talk on the life and times of Richard M. Stallman, then segueing into an analysis of the GNU General Public License, version 1, followed by a comparative between versions 1,2, and 3 of the GNU GPL (3 hours), a ten minute coffee break, and finishing off with a three hour seminar dissecting Eric S. Raymond's seminal essay "The Cathedral and the Bazaar," Neal Stephanson's monumental treastise "In the Beginning Was The Command Line," and finally the collected works of J.R.R. Tolkien and how they model the ideal of the gift economy in pretechnological times.

Are the DVD's available?

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 Rodasm

Rodasm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:01 AM

Sadly, I was mistaken. But ImgBurn is a superior program. I'd also point you at DVDFlick, which uses ImgBurn as it's burning engine.

duz yor ed urt :thumbsup:

Edited by Rodasm, 30 September 2009 - 08:02 AM.

#7 Rodasm

Rodasm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:21 AM

I'd also point you at DVDFlick, which uses ImgBurn as it's burning engine.

I downloaded AVS Video Converter 6.3 from the above.

What does Non-activated mean? How do I activate it? Can I use it as is?

OK I found it. Refer to my first comment :thumbsup:

Edited by Rodasm, 30 September 2009 - 08:27 AM.

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:55 AM

I'd also point you at DVDFlick, which uses ImgBurn as it's burning engine.

I downloaded AVS Video Converter 6.3 from the above.

What does Non-activated mean? How do I activate it? Can I use it as is?

OK I found it. Refer to my first comment :thumbsup:

Huh? I saw no links or mention of AVS Video Converter on the DVD Flick site. I'm confused... :flowers:

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:34 PM

And I would have to blow my brains out again... :thumbsup:

#10 Rodasm

Rodasm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:34 PM

Yikes, I only saw the AVS video converter on that site :thumbsup:
After looking properly I now see the DVD Flick download button :flowers:
A senior moment :trumpet:
I'm going to download it now.
Ta for help Amazing Andrew

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:44 PM

And I would have to blow my brains out again... :inlove:

You know you love my lectures. Admit it.

Yikes, I only saw the AVS video converter on that site :thumbsup:
After looking properly I now see the DVD Flick download button :flowers:
A senior moment :trumpet:
I'm going to download it now.
Ta for help Amazing Andrew

You quite welcome!

Though that must've been the most senior of all senior moments because I still can't find the reference to AVS on the DVD Flick page... was it an ad? (I block ads)

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 30 September 2009 - 12:47 PM.

#12 Rodasm

Rodasm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:43 PM

Though that must've been the most senior of all senior moments because I still can't find the reference to AVS on the DVD Flick page... was it an ad? (I block ads)

:thumbsup: PASS
Must have been. I don't know how to block ads :flowers:

#13 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:50 PM

I don't know how to block ads :flowers:

When you see an ad,

immediately close your eyes.

Works 100% of the time for me!

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#14 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:54 PM

Firefox and AdBlock plus FTW!

#15 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:01 AM

And I would have to blow my brains out again... :flowers:

:thumbsup: Epic lol right there!

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users