Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

svchost error can't resolve

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 toepick

toepick

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:04 AM

keep getting this error on booting windows, have gone through all my services to find the culprit but not able to isolate the cause, I suspect its something in my registry but I am not sure. I boot in normal (that is i don't use config.sys to boot), have run malwarebytes scans, also avg8.5 and superantispyware also since I just had system cleaned I don't 'think' its another virus..unless its part of something left over? I'm just not sure...I'm really trying to avoid 'just re-install windows'.

WinXP SP3, on a HP pavilion dv9000

error msg:

svchost.exe - application
0x7c91b21a referenced memory at 0x00000010 memory could not be written

no other issues occur after the error, I close the msg box and everything else seems fine

thanks for any advice in advance :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:50 AM

http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_fix_the_instru...ot_be_read.html

Worth reading, without necessarily believing all comments, http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en...76-912febee58fd

Personally, I would check Event Viewer and hope that I can find more clues to whatever is wrong. I don't like guessing randomly.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#3 toepick

toepick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:23 AM

From your second link:

1- Go to Control Panel 2- Administrative Tools 3- Services
4- go to the following Service : ( Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework ) Right Click then choose Properties ----> in the start up type choose Disabled.
Then reboot the system.
This should do the trick and stop the error from appearing at the login screen. I guess that Windows MediaPlayer 11 is the one responsible for this error.
Hope this helps you.
Kindly post your result
Regards,
MAJED

Bolded service was casuing the problem, disabling has removed the error, this makes sense as I upgraded to SP3 and they snuck that media player 11 in to when I was updating my Windows lol.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Edited by toepick, 29 September 2009 - 10:23 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:05 AM

Always glad when users have good results, thanks for posting back...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users