Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just formatted my computer and...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jmgreen

jmgreen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 01:13 AM

So, we had a virus on our computer that would not allow us to run a virus scan or to clean anything up. Every time we tried to run a scan, it would shut off mid-scan and we wouldn't be able to run it again...

We decided to just format the system and now the computer seems to be running even worse than before... We are able to run scans (which now come up clean) but everything is just running really slowly and freezing up. On the internet, scrolling down pages is extremely choppy and freezes a lot... I have no idea what is going on...

Also, I don't know how to make my speakers work again... (probably unrelated... I'm just clueless...)

Anyone that could shed some light on this or try to help me?? I'm a university student and I'm desperate. I NEED my computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 04:31 AM

Hi jmgreen. Welcome to BleepingComputer :thumbsup:
You say you formatted and re-installed Windows? Did you install all the needed drivers? The sound not working and choppy graphics may be related to drivers not installed.

#3 windowstech

windowstech

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:14 PM

Check Device Manager and make sure all drivers are installed. Also run some hardware diagnostics. You may have some failing hardware like memory or a hard drive. Look at Task Manager and see if a process is using the CPU or if all of your memory is being used up by a process.
Windows Tech
MCSE

#4 ProgressiveComputing

ProgressiveComputing

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 04:58 AM

Hi, Yes like they have said above, sounds like driver issues, If you go, start, right click 'My Computer' and then select Manage. This will open a new window, On the left-hand side you should see some expandable icons such as 'Event Viewer' about 6 or 7 down click on 'Device Manager' If there are any devices that have a yellow question mark next to them, this means you need to install the driver, If this is the problem then let me know and i can help talk you through this.

Tom - Progressive Computing

EDIT~ commercial URL removed

Edited by Pandy, 30 September 2009 - 01:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users