Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser redirect but unable to log

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Posterman13

Posterman13

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:30 PM

Hello there!

I appreciate in advance your time and patience...

Running Vista Home, and started having redirect issues with Explorer. Tried to run Spybot, but I couldn't access..."Windows cannot access the specified file/device/path...you may not have the appropriate permissions to acess the file"....tried to uninstall and reinstall but I keep getting blocked on the reinstall...permission/access issues.

So after reading through your forums, I downloaded Malwarebytes which would not run...tried to download dds to post the log, but the screen won't run...even after disabling Windows Defender Real Time & Windows Firewall. I have been able to run Spyblaster, but I think that's putting the cart before the horse :thumbsup:

I am currently not running any other anti-virus programs - checked via my program list. Finally, I am able to navigate normally, it is only when I use the search option, and then click on a link, that am I redirected. However, if I simply cut and paste a URL into the Google toolbar, I get to the website with no problem.

Thanks again,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:00 PM

If you cannot get DDS to work, please try this instead.

Please download RSIT by random/random and save it to your Desktop.
Note: You will need to run this tool while connected to the Internet so it can download HijackThis if it is not located on your system. If you get a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding RSIT attempting to contact the Internet, please allow the connection.
  • Close all applications and windows so that you have nothing open and are at your Desktop.
  • Double-click on RSIT.exe to start the program.
  • If using Windows Vista, be sure to Run As Administrator.
  • Click Continue after reading the disclaimer screen.
  • Leave the drop down box set to default: "List/folders created or modified in the last 1 month (30 days).
  • When the scan is complete, a text file named log.txt will automatically open in Notepad.
  • Save the log file to your desktop and copy/paste the contents into a new topic in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here.
Important: Be sure to mention that you tried to follow the Prep Guide but were unable to get DDS to run. If RSIT did not work, then reply back here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users