Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows "show hidden files" replaced by a string of question marks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 agennon

agennon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:23 PM

As described in the topic, after a malware attack the option to show hidden files on my pc has changed into a string of question marks.

I have since cleaned up the malware and any viruses on my pc (at least I hope so, MBAM and Avira are reporting no infected files) but the question marks still remain. Would anyone here have a clue how I can restore it back? Alternatively is there a way I can double-check that my laptop is really rid of all traces of virus.

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:40 PM

It may be that your Windows files have got corrupted. Make sure all your Windows files are ok using SFC tool.
Open Start Menu > Run and type sfc /scannow and press enter.
Note: It would ask you to insert Windows XP CD so be ready with that.

#3 agennon

agennon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:23 AM

It may be that your Windows files have got corrupted. Make sure all your Windows files are ok using SFC tool.
Open Start Menu > Run and type sfc /scannow and press enter.
Note: It would ask you to insert Windows XP CD so be ready with that.

Ah, they asked me to put in windows xp service pack 3, unfortunately I don't have that disc. The only disc that I have is the Compaq OS CD that came with the laptop. Any other ideas or can I just go ahead and run the scan even without the CD?

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:08 AM

Compaq Laptop comes with Compaq Restore CD which can restore your computer to factory settings. Take care to make a backup of all your data first as stated in the following article.
Read this article : http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/fastFaq...cname=c00034787
You can also order recovery CD if you do not have : http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...e=bph07143#N399

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users