Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

E: Removable disk that should not be there!!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 czcat

czcat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:34 PM

Hello. I was hoping someone might be able to help me figure out a problem.

The other day I found the CD (D) drive missing and an E: drive listed under ďdevices with removable storageĒ. I donít have an external hard drive.

I finally figured out how to get the CD drive to come back (I used the advice given at PCHell.com for error code 39--the error listed in Device Manager by the little yellow !--and it worked!) However, I canít figure out what the E: drive is. If I right-click and open Properties it says it is a Maxtor 6L080L4. I do believe that this is my hard drive but why does it show up where it does? If you double click on it, it asks for a disk. Under Device Manager it can be found under Disk Drives. I tried uninstalling it and rebooting and it comes right back.

I have run ComboFix, Malwarebytes, CCleaner as well as Zonealarm virus/spyware scans. I recently found that I donít trust the free McAffy internet security when it missed things found by Malwerbytes. I may have been over zealous. I've switched back to ZoneAlarm Extreme.

Itís an older computeróDell Dimension 4300S with 60gb HD, 2gb RAM!! I fear it has lots of registry errors and Iím considering wiping it clean and giving it the parents and getting a new one. But I still want to know what happened. FYI, I'm not a computer newbie but I'm not an expert either.

Does anyone out here know how to fix this or what it might be?

Thanks for your advice.
czcat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czcat

czcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:52 PM

:thumbsup: OK. I figured out the issue. FYI for all those out there who have an HP Photosmart printer with ports for the different memory cards. I guess I've never noticed it before the CD drive quit working. What clued me in was that the printer is listed under disk drives above the hard drive. So I plugged a my camera's memory card in the slot and clicked on E: and guess what--the pictures came up. Now my mind can stop wondering what it was for. YA!!

czcat

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:44 PM

That would have been my first Guess. Glad you figured it out. :thumbsup: Sorry I wasn't faster to respond :flowers:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users