Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program to protect Vista OS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cheesecaketops

cheesecaketops

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:05 PM

My apology if this is in the wrong section or repeated topic.

I have Vista. I would like to know what kind of anti-virus/malware applications that are good in protecting Vista OS. I'm currently using Spyspot. I've heard of Malwarebyte anti malware and Superanti spyware. Are those approriate and good for Vista? If not, what other program that I should be using to protect my computer?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:29 PM

Hello I will move this from Vista to the AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods forum.. SpyBot is not an AntiVirus. I do like the SAS and MBAM tools you have. I like AVira as an A/V and I use all 3 on Vista.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 cheesecaketops

cheesecaketops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:01 PM

Hi, thanks for the topic correction and your reply.

Where can I dl SAS and MBAM for Vista? I had them on my old XP laptop... I don't remember/know the dl link to them. Can you also tellme more about AVira? i.e. it is free for dl? where to dl? etc.

Thanks so much again for your help.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:19 PM

You're welcome!
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

SUPERAntiSpyware , Free Home Version.

Avira ĽAntivir Free

Other free tools you may have at need at times from BleepingComputers list.

Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 cheesecaketops

cheesecaketops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:52 PM

I've got them dl-ed and ran. Thanks so much! :thumbsup:

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:01 PM

You're welcome. Please remember to update and scan at least weekly.
Also take a moment to read quietman7's excellent prevention tips in post 17 here
Click>>Tips to protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection:

#7 BubbaT

BubbaT

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:25 PM

I've come across a program that is fairly good at preventing some infections.

It's called WinPatrol and what it does is prevent programs from running at startup without first getting, installing services ( I think ), modifying your host file and a few other nasties malware tries to do.
http://www.winpatrol.com/

I've been using it and sometimes it's annoying though even when it alerts to something legitimate it's something I would want to know about which the !@#$ software vendor doesn't want me to know ( like Sony's rootkit, all though that really wasn't legitimate ).

PS Sorry I forgot. AFAIK the software is legitimate and works great ( it won't catch everything, but it does catch a lot ) but also it seems a bit obscure, I found it searching for something to help me control startups not malware. If someone knows something about this that I do not please let us all know.

Edited by BubbaT, 01 October 2009 - 05:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users