Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP can see/move files to Vista, but Vista cannot see XP

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ocala1

ocala1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:08 PM

Hello,

The problem I am having is exactly as the title describes. My XP machines can see each other, and can see the Vista machine. They can all move files to each other, including to the vista machine. But, my vista machine cannot see anything on my home network except printers. Using my Vista machine, I am able to ping the XP machines by Name and IP Address. However, even when I manually type in the computer in the address bar (e.g. //computername/), Vista tells me I have entered a wrong address. This makes absolutely no sense to me at all. All computers have the latest updates and service packs. Does anyone have an idea as to why my Vista machine cannot see my XP machines?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 01:31 PM

They are all in the same workgroup?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 ocala1

ocala1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:10 PM

Yes they are all in the same network group. Thanks for the reply

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:52 PM

Do they all show up in the workgroup under My Network places or whatever that is called on Vista? You don't have any firewalls running? The printers, plugged into a printer server? network ready? I wish I had a Vista machine avail to me so I could mess with it, cause I know this is something simple =)

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 ocala1

ocala1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 05:37 PM

Yes all the computers have their firewall/anitvirus (I have avira so there is no separate firewall) turned off and all computers show same workgroup under My Network Places in vista/xp.......all of the printers are on print servers but the vista machine can see the print servers regardless....I still havent been able to solve this, the XP machines are still able to see and move files to the vista machine but the vista machine cant see the XP machines. I might try force installing LLTD on the XP machines because even though SP3 claims to have included that it seems the most probable thing that is wrong. Ill make another post later and let you know if it was the LLTD problem. Thanks for the replies. :thumbsup:

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:37 PM

are you typing //computername/ because it should be \\computername\.

all computers show same workgroup under My Network Places in vista/xp Are they showing on the Vista machine's network places? If yes, what happens when you click on them?

I hope the LLTD install works. Cause I am not sure what would be stopping you, if no firewalls are running.

#7 ocala1

ocala1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:49 PM

I have been using \\computername\......the other way attempts to open a browser. Anyway, I have partial success by force installing the LLTD on one of my XP machines. I cannot see it under Network in Vista, but I can now see the computer under the Network Map in Vista :thumbsup: . I cannot click/double click on the XP machine in the network map but it is showing that the two computers are on the same network. Unfortunately, it has slowed the XP machine to a crawl, even after several restarts on both machines. I still am able to ping the XP machine by computer name/ip. Now I need to figure out why the XP machine shows up under Network Map and not Network, and why I am unable to double click on the XP machine in the network map.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:01 AM

Well that is what the LLTD was designed to do. This page explains what it does. It only mentions network map. When I had a Vista machine here I didn't and still don't have LLTD installed and could move files just fine. I still think its a setting somewhere on the Vista machine.

My advice is on the Vista machine, rebuild the sharing from scratch. This page is a great guide to sharing on Vista. And I know, you've prolly done this a million times. But there is something very simple that was missed and if you follow all the steps 1 by 1, I'm willing to bet it'll work. And if it doesn't, triple check that you have all firewalls off.

#9 ocala1

ocala1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:55 AM

Problem solved :thumbsup: ! I was stumbled across the problem when I was trying to see if there was some type of reset button on my NIC. It turns out that under the properties of "Local Area Connection" there was something called "Client for Microsoft Windows" that had been uninstalled/or was never installed in the first place. I found this by right-clicking on "Local Area Connection", selecting properties, then selecting install. That brought up a window called "Select Network Feature Type". I selected client, then clicked "add" and found that there was "Client for Microsoft Windows". I clicked "Ok" when it was selected, restarted, and now my Vista machine can see the XP machines. Thanks for your help CaveDweller2! :flowers:

#10 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 03:08 PM

lol..see something silly =) glad its working

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users