Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMAZONAWS

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Argoneer

Argoneer

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:53 PM

I am seeing more and more packets coming from AMAZONAWS. What is this stuff? I have no dealings with Amazon?

Does anyone have an idea who is sending these packets into my computer?? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:24 PM

FWIW.

http://aws.amazon.com/what-is-aws/

#3 Argoneer

Argoneer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:49 PM

Thank you for the information Bicycle Bill. I am a bit dazzled by the explanation that Amazon supplies

Amazon: "Since early 2006, Amazon Web Services (AWS) has provided companies of all sizes with an infrastructure web services
platform in the cloud. With AWS you can requisition compute power, storage, and other services gaining access to a suite of elastic
IT infrastructure services as your business demands them.

Hmmm!! A platform in the cloud is it?

Amazon: With AWS you can requisition compute power, storage, and other services

And where is this compute power and storage located? I surmise it is a collection of computers somewhere "up there" in the cloud.

Who owns the computers? Are they all owned by Amazon? It seems they would have to own them if they are selling time on them.

I wonder if this is a scheme something like SETI@HOME?? And why am I recieving packets from AMAZONAWS??

Oh well time will tell I hope. Thanks again Bicycle Bill, all replies are appreciated and helpful :thumbsup:

Edited by Argoneer, 28 September 2009 - 06:53 PM.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:09 PM

Sounds like Amazon selling/leasing unused 'infrastructure' to maximize profit. AKA Amazon webhosting. Meaning everything except the web content is Amazon owned. That's my interpretation.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Argoneer

Argoneer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:38 PM

Do you think the Amazonaw packets I see arriving here are coming from people who bought space on my computer from Amazon?? :thumbsup:

Edited by Argoneer, 28 September 2009 - 07:41 PM.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,528 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:49 PM

People didn't buy space on your computer. They are using Amazon's equipment to run their business. The analogy being renting a Ryder truck to move your belongings from one place to another. Everything says Ryder except the contents of the truck which are yours. For example you go to a website, and buy something or look at information. It's all Amazon as far as bandwidth and hosting of the content you are viewing. Just the images and copyright if any of information belongs to who ever uses Amazon's service.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#7 Argoneer

Argoneer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 02:26 AM

So the computer space Amazon is selling is on computers that they own? Why do they call it a cloud?

I also wonder why they don't say so in their description.

Reading Amazons description of their"cloud" is like trying to find some simple fact on Wikipedia where
its buried under a mountain of unnecessarily complex verbosity.

It sounds like the same thing as co-location. The picture I'm seeing is of companies that rents computer
time from Amazon instead of owning its own computers. Does that sound correct??

Many thanks for all the replies. :thumbsup:

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,528 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:26 AM

I couldn't agree more on your points, and to further muddy the waters on the description, take a look at web definitions of Cloud Computing

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#9 Argoneer

Argoneer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:41 PM

I still don't get it. The available information seems to make it impossible to formulate a clear
explanation of what cloud computing is?

The geeks that do know are only able to converse in slide rule equations that are gibberish to
normal people. :flowers:

Even people with a hi IQ are left scratching their heads trying to decipher what the geeks said.

I cannot resist posting this explanation from Wikipedia: Cloud computing is a paradigm of
computing in which dynamically scalable and often virtualized resources are provided as a
service over the Internet. Now that's as clear as a bell isn't it.

I am suspicious that something is going on that we need to know about...why else all the
obfuscation?

Thanks for the replies they are much appreciated. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users