Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Self-Fixing Computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 anim8or.tristan

anim8or.tristan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:18 PM

Hello,
I'm trying to fine tune a way to keep my computer from failing beyond the point of no return. Here is my current idea.

Computer will keep an up to date and working copy of the OS on a seperate SATA hard drive. Personal data is on a seperate partition from the OS.
If a virus is detected the computer will switch the primary boot disk from HD 1 to HD 2 (the copy) and restart.
Once restarted the copy OS will format the original OS partition and copy itself onto the original partition.
Then the copy OS will switch primary boot disks back to normal and restart itself.

My question is, how could I write a program that would take the computer through the boot disk switching, restart, formatting, copying, boot disk switching and final restart?
Thanks for everyone's help in advance!

Edited by The weatherman, 28 September 2009 - 05:26 PM.
Moved from XP to a more appropriate forum. Tw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:29 PM

What happens in the case of a false detection?
What happens in the case that the malware evades detection?
What happens if the user is in the middle of something important when the virus is detected?

#3 EthanD

EthanD

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:27 AM

Really good idea, but some legit programs are detected as a virus sometime, as said by groovicus. Unless you have a flawless malware system [not possible], it has a lot of bugs. You should make a little warning tab in your task bar, and review the details of the "infection". It should include things like: Registry values modified, Files/Folders created/deleted. And you should be able to dismiss warnings if you don't think that they're valid.

Just some things you might want to take into consideration.

- Ethan

#4 dr mckay

dr mckay

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:26 PM

some things to consider.
what security program(s) will you use.
and you need some kind of warning prompted or wipe system out every time you get false positive.

ok well i can suggest 2 things that help you.

A.Sandboxing
Sand boxing which put HD into virtual environment malware infection harmless.
1.Windows Steady State which kind of doe's what your trying to do
by using a cache on the HDD which wipes out Any Changes at shutdown or later depending on the settings.
Note:Cache will takeup space on the Disk.And i have had Sporadic Program Behavior with it.(had reinstall windows but
i could done something wrong.)
more info
download link
2.Sandboxie more conventional where choose areas and programs to sandbox so thy don't effect the system.
more info
download link

B.Automation

If you don't want to use sandboxing then i know a Program which will help you.
Robotask.Very Easy and you use a GUI which lets you automate almost any thing click on the computer.
Note:will coast up $70-1000 USD for license for the Full Version and light (free version) is a waste of time.
Robo task

Edited by dr mckay, 30 September 2009 - 03:28 PM.

#5 anim8or.tristan

anim8or.tristan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:27 PM

Thank you Ethan D for the insight. I'll look into that when I actually make the program. and thank you Dr Mckay. I looked at both sandboxing tools and I like what it does. That will do the trick I think and it will be a lot easier than my process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users