Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet from PC to 360 Help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Makaveli57oG

Makaveli57oG

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:28 PM

My xbox 360 is right next to my PC upstairs in my room. The wireless router is downstairs and there is no way for me to run ethernet from my xbox to the router so it seemed like my only option was the xbox 360 wireless adapter for 100 dollars.

After looking around I found out that I can connect my 360 to my PC via ethernet cable and in a way, use my PC as the wireless adapter. After I set it up, the xbox detected the wiring and passed the wired network test and the computer would detect a LAN when I powered on my 360.

The problem is that on the console, I fail the IP tests and my computer says the LAN has little to no connectivity because "The Network Didn't Assign A Network Address." There are people who have done this successfully but I can't seem to get it to work for me.

I'm not very network savvy so could somebody please walk me through how to do this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 28 September 2009 - 04:40 PM

This guide shows how to do it on Vista but it would be the same on XP. The guide mentions it but just in passing. I would reboot my entire network. Unplug the modem, router, shut the PC down and the Xbox. Then starting at the modem turn them all back on letting the modem's lights settle before the router is turned on, let the router lights settle before the PC is turned on and let the PC boot fully, check that it can surf, before trying the Xbox. Good Luck =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users