Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtumonde Trojan, possibly others.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gilliang

gilliang

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 28 September 2009 - 12:50 PM

Hi,

My sister recently downloaded something from limewire and its given her computer a nasty set of viruses. I tried downloading Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, SuperAntiSpyware and Spyware Doctor.

The virus will not allow me to use the first two programs. I've used Spyware Doctor a few times, initially it found 567 threats and got rid of them, then it found another 30 or so, then again another 30 or so and so on and so on...it's not getting rid of whatever virus(es) are on my sister's computer. She was getting a lot of pop-ups in Internet Explorer and it also seems to be hijacking her browser as well as slowing down her computer significantly. The virus that is showing up the most in Spyware Doctor is the Virtumonde Trojan.

I came to this site and found a thread about this virus and three steps to follow. Obviously I could not perform the first step which involved the Malwarebytes program because the virus is not allowing me to use it. I tried the Vundo Removal tool next and after searching for awhile it came up as finding nothing. I then started the computer in safe mode and tried the VundoBeGone tool and again it came up with nothing.

I need help as to how to go about removing whatever viruses are on her computer. I really wanted to use Malwarebytes but it shuts down after about 5 seconds or so of running.

She has an HP Pavilion dv1000 laptop
Windows XP

Any help would be greatly appreciated as she can't even use her laptop right now and she's currently in school and needing to use it in class.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 01:40 PM

Welcome to BC

Before we start fixing anything you should print out these instructions or copy them to a NotePad file so they will be accessible. Some steps will require you to disconnect from the Internet or use Safe Mode and you will not have access to this page.

Please download DrWeb-CureIt and save it to your desktop. DO NOT perform a scan yet.

Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with Dr.Web CureIt as follows:
  • Double-click on launch.exe to open the program and click Start. (There is no need to update if you just downloaded the most current version
  • Read the Virus check by DrWeb scanner prompt and click Ok where asked to Start scan now? Allow the setup.exe to load if asked by any of your security programs.
  • The Express scan will automatically begin.
    (This is a short scan of files currently running in memory, boot sectors, and targeted folders).
  • If prompted to dowload the Full version Free Trial, ignore and click the X to close the window.
  • If an infected object is found, you will be prompted to move anything that cannot be cured. Click Yes to All. (This will move any detected files to the C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\DoctorWeb\Quarantine folder if they can't be cured)
  • After the Express Scan is finished, put a check next to Complete scan to scan all local disks and removable media.
  • In the top menu, click Settings > Change settings, and unheck "Heuristic analysis" under the "Scanning" tab, then click Apply, Ok.
  • Back at the main window, click the green arrow "Start Scanning" button on the right under the Dr.Web logo.
  • Please be patient as this scan could take a long time to complete.
  • When the scan has finished, a message will be displayed at the bottom indicating if any viruses were found.
  • Click Select All, then choose Cure > Move incurable.
  • In the top menu, click file and choose save report list.
  • Save the DrWeb.csv report to your desktop.
  • Exit Dr.Web Cureit when done.
  • Important! Reboot your computer because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.
  • After reboot, post the contents of the log from Dr.Web in your next reply. (You can use Notepad to open the DrWeb.cvs report)

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 gilliang

gilliang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 04:16 PM

I seem to be having a problem. In safe mode the computer continually beeps and a box comes up asking if I want to continue in safe mode. I keep saying yes but it keeps popping up every 30 seconds or so and I think is messing with the program you told me to run because it isn't working. It keeps saying there's an error and then shuts down.

Any suggestions?

Edited by gilliang, 28 September 2009 - 04:24 PM.

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:05 PM

Let's try a different program...

Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:
  • Main Mirror
    This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)
  • Zipped Mirror
    This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.
  • Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
  • Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.
  • Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
  • Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.

Posted Image
  • GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)
  • If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.
  • Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.
  • When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.
  • Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.
  • Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.
-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in Safe Mode.

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 gilliang

gilliang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:14 PM

I tried that and it was okay at the beginning, I pressed scan and it went for a second but then I got the blue screen of death.

Am I out of options now?

Also, if I order an HP recovery disc, and reset my computer to its factory settings will that get rid of the viruses that are on my computer?

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:30 PM

Yes, the recovery disk should wipe everything clean and set the computer back to the way you bought it.
Lets try rpptrepeal

We Need to check for Rootkits with RootRepeal
  • Download RootRepeal from the following location and save it to your desktop.
  • Extract RootRepeal.exe from the archive (If you did not use the "Direct Download" mirror).
  • Open Posted Image on
    your desktop.
  • Click the Posted Image tab.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Check all seven boxes:

Posted Image
  • Push Ok
  • Check the box for your main system drive (Usually C:), and press Ok.
  • Allow RootRepeal to run a scan of your system. This may take some time.
  • Once the scan completes, push the

Posted Image button. Save the log to
    your desktop, using a distinctive name, such as RootRepeal.txt. Include this report in your
    next reply, please.

#7 gilliang

gilliang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 01:53 PM

*sigh* it started going and it looked like it was going to work for awhile and it said one MBR Rootkit detected, and then all of a sudden it shut down on me before it was finished.

It's like this virus has ruined everything.

#8 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:44 PM

With that infection, you need advanced malware assistance. That can only be found in the HJT/Malware forum. You do need to know that assistance in that forum is backed up due to the volume of logs being handled, so if you would rather format, now may be the time. If not, please follow this guide from step (6). Post a DDS log to the HJT/Malware forum and a Team member will be along to help you as soon as possible. You may wish to post a link back to this topic to see what was discussed thus far.

If you need any help with the guide, please let me know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users