Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

spyware or hardware?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pouringreign

pouringreign

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:40 AM

Initially, my computer was acting strange. It took a long time to get to the internet and my screen was blinking. I thought the cause was spyware, but now I'm thinking it may have been a combination.

I scanned with malwarebyte and found some spyware and got rid of it. The same symptoms kept going on so I spoke t the person who takes care of my computer. He told me it might be a "rootkit" virus but he could not help much more.

I ended up reformatting the computer and it turned out that the video card was bad. It looked funny on the screen and it was still blinking. I disabled the driver, the blinking stopped. I looked in the device manager, the ethernet controller was not found and nor was the video controller. A generic video driver was used.

Because the ethernet controller is disabled, does this mean the network card is bad as well? I get to the internet with no problem and with the generic video driver I get video with no problem.

I am so confused why the correct video driver will not work with my video card and a generic driver works? Why does it look like my network driver is installed when it says the ethernet controller no found.

Can someone tell me whats going on here???? :thumbsup:

The bottom line is that I am confused on whether this was caused by spyware or some coindence.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:48 PM

BTW, there was an extra ethernet card which was not functioning, I removed it and the ethernet controller error was removed from the device manager.

I guess I don't understand about the generic vga driver. I need a good video card, is the generic video card a good card?
Would spyware and/ or viruses make a video card bad? :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users