Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie Q re: USB hub

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MarieBoyer

MarieBoyer

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 26 July 2005 - 09:43 PM

I intend to add a separate keyboard to my Toshiba Tecra A1 laptop. I have a GE brand USB 2.0 hub (because my laptop does not have enough USB ports for my needs).

I hooked up 2 USB cables to the USB hub and after a couple of hours I noticed it was extremely hot to the touch. I removed it immediately from the laptop. (I had used same Hub a few months ago and worked fine.) Any ideas? Discard and buy a new one? Try again?

Newbie here. Just do not want to destroy my computer! Thanks so much!
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 26 July 2005 - 11:22 PM

Dear Marie,

Yes. Return the USB Hub as defective. What you have is short to ground or an open voltage circuit. This is why the unit is getting so hot.

Eventually it will burn up and not work.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users