Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Passwords & ID do not get remembered in Firefox

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 videoguy

videoguy

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:55 AM

I am running Firefox Version 3.0.9

Under the security tab I have checked "remember passwords" and under the privacy tab I have enabled "accept cookies".

For about 3-4 weeks now when I go to any site and tell it to "remember me" its fine until I close the browser. Once its closed however, the site doesn't remember me any longer and I have to re-type it. I am currently using Zone Alarm as my AV and it hasn't indicated any problems but I'm a little bit worried about this. Is it possible I have a virus or is this a Firefox issue? I don't use IE (I'm running version 7) very often but it doesn't seem to be a problem there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:11 AM

Using the AutoComplete feature in Internet Explorer or Firefox can be useful but it is a security risk. It is not a good practice to save passwords with your browser for sites which have private information about yourself or financial information such as credit card numbers. If someone else uses your computer with the same account, they may be able to get access to all your username and password information. That would allow them to visit those web sites which require a password for security purposes. Further, if your machine becomes infected with a backdoor Trojan, a remote attacker could gain unauthorized access to the computer and steal sensitive information like passwords, personal and financial data. By the time you find out your passwords have been compromised, its probably too late. For maximum security and privacy its best to:If using Firefox as your primary browser, you can also use the Autocomplete Manager Add-on.

If you insist and want to enable autocomplete in Firefox, please refer to these instructions.

Edited by quietman7, 28 September 2009 - 09:12 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 videoguy

videoguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:31 AM

Using the AutoComplete feature in Internet Explorer or Firefox can be useful but it is a security risk. It is not a good practice to save passwords with your browser for sites which have private information about yourself or financial information such as credit card numbers. If someone else uses your computer with the same account, they may be able to get access to all your username and password information. That would allow them to visit those web sites which require a password for security purposes. Further, if your machine becomes infected with a backdoor Trojan, a remote attacker could gain unauthorized access to the computer and steal sensitive information like passwords, personal and financial data. By the time you find out your passwords have been compromised, its probably too late. For maximum security and privacy its best to:

If using Firefox as your primary browser, you can also use the Autocomplete Manager Add-on.

If you insist and want to enable autocomplete in Firefox, please refer to these instructions.

Thanks Quietman.

I'm not using autocomplete. I have it set to remember passwords and accept cookies but I do not have autocomplete enabled. Are we talking about the same thing here?

Also, it was never a problem in the past it has just all of a sudden stopped remembering who I am at various sites... that's why I'm worried I've downloaded a virus here.

Edited by videoguy, 28 September 2009 - 09:32 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,588 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:49 AM

Some folks use the two hand-n-hand so I wanted to ensure you understood the difference.

Tools > Options > Security > click on Saved Passwords. Is there anything in the list?

If not, see: Username and password not remembered in Firefox

#5 videoguy

videoguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:21 AM

Some folks use the two hand-n-hand so I wanted to ensure you understood the difference.

Tools > Options > Security > click on Saved Passwords. Is there anything in the list?

If not, see: Username and password not remembered in Firefox

I have clicked the checkbox for "remember passwords for sites". I have not clicked "use a master password".

I'm just not sure why all of a sudden the "remember me" boxes for websites don't work anymore. Same with this site by the way. When I close Firefox I have to log back in here even though I've clicked "remember me."

I'm just hoping its not some kind of keylogger or virus that I've picked up.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,588 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:59 AM

Try clearning your Web browser cache.
  • Click Tools, select Options and click the Privacy Icon.
  • Under the Privacy tab, click "Clear Recent History".
  • In the Time range to clear window that opens, use the drop-down menu and select Everything.
  • Click the down arrow next to "Details" to choose what history elements to clear.
  • Click "Clear Now".
  • Click Ok.
  • Click Ok, exit and relaunch the browser.
How to Clear Your Browser's Cache (includes screenshots)

Also, if your settings are not being saved, see Preferences not saved in Firefox

#7 videoguy

videoguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:03 PM

Try clearning your Web browser cache.

• Click Tools, select Options and click the Privacy Icon.
  • Under the Privacy tab, click "Clear Recent History".
  • In the Time range to clear window that opens, use the drop-down menu and select Everything.
  • Click the down arrow next to "Details" to choose what history elements to clear.
  • Click "Clear Now".
  • Click Ok.
  • Click Ok, exit and relaunch the browser.
How to Clear Your Browser's Cache (includes screenshots)

Also, if your settings are not being saved, see Preferences not saved in Firefox

Clearing the cache seems to have worked. Thanks.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,588 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:36 PM

You're welcome.