Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC randomly freezing up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AverageJoe90

AverageJoe90

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:32 AM

Hi, I've been experiencing problems with my PC randomly freezing up today. During this time, everything simply stops working; I can't move the mouse cursor and ctrl-alt-delete does nothing, and the only way to get it working again is by restarting the PC manually.

Before this happened, I had noticed that for a week or so, everytime I turned off my computer I got a BSOD for a second just before it fully shut off. But I didn't think much of it because it wasn't effecting anything else.

It's also worth noting that this only began happening about 15 minutes after I set up my new wireless internet connection on the computer - but I can't see how this could be the cause of the problem.

It's a new PC, just two months old and built for gaming. I'm using windows XP 32-bit SP3, 4GB of ram (but can only use 3.25GB with my 32-bit OS) a Gigabyte motherboard, Nvidia 9800GT video card, and an Intel Q8400 CPU

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 b00kwyrm

b00kwyrm

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:23 AM

"After the fact" does not equate to "because of the fact" (rough translation of "Post Hoc non est Propter Hoc")
but sometimes there is a relationship.

To diagnose, it would be helpful if you would attach some BSOD minidumps.

They are found here... %Windows%\Minidump.
Attach a few of the most recent (look at the date/time information).

Edited by b00kwyrm, 28 September 2009 - 09:24 AM.

#3 AverageJoe90

AverageJoe90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:17 AM

Okay, here are the two most recent files in that folder attached to this post.

I'm pretty convinced it's something to do with the internet at this point. It kept crashing every 10 minutes or so, but after disabling my wireless connection I have been using the PC for a good 3 hours with no problems. So perhaps the BSOD errors were a seperate issue. Is the wireless connection conflicting in some way? Could my NetGear card be busted? Though it worked fine for my last router, so its very confusing. I just used the default windows XP options to set it up so there are no new programs installed that could be conflicting.

Attached File  Desktop.zip   40.12KB   4 downloads

#4 b00kwyrm

b00kwyrm

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:32 PM

Both dumps are 0x0000000A and are pointing to "memory corruption".
  • A Stop 0xA message might occur after installing a faulty device driver, system service, or firmware.
  • A Stop 0xA message might also be due to failing or defective hardware.
In this case your dumps are specifically pointing to hardware (memory)

I would suggest downloading a free tool called Memtest. here ... http://www.memtest.org/

Please note that it will probably work best to remove all but one stick of ram and test them individually.
This will isolate your defective module(s).
Please note also that it will require a significant amount of time to run the series of tests required to thoroughly test your ram. This is a series of 8 tests of increasing complexity, and you should let it run at least seven full passes of all eight tests (UNLESS you start getting errors).

Many people elect to let it run overnight, so they aren't just sitting around "watching paint dry".

If any errors are revealed by memtest, that module is bad.
It is not unheard of for faulty memory to pass memtest, but it is rare.

#5 AverageJoe90

AverageJoe90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:46 PM

I have fixed the random freezes now by reinstalling NetGear drivers.

*Phew*

However, the memory problem sounds like a separate issue and a worrying one. I've downloaded that program and will run it right now as I'm just going to bed; will post an update later!

#6 b00kwyrm

b00kwyrm

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:58 PM

You may have solved it!
Sometimes drivers can be the culprit and it will still show up in the minidump as Memory Corruption.

Since you think you have solved the problem,
I would suggest simply running Memtest with all modules installed.
It may come up good.
(on the other hand, if you get errors, you will simply need to repeat, using one stick at a time)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users