Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xplosive1

xplosive1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 28 September 2009 - 01:13 AM

Hi, I have a AMD K7S5A motherboard on my home PC. I currently have one 256mb stick of DDR ram. (PC 3200... 32MB x 64DDr.... 256Mb... 400Mhz..CL3)

My friend was going to recycle his computer (Pentium 4), so he gave me the Ram sticks from his computer for my computer before he got rid of it. I wanted to know if I can use them or not.

He gave me 4 sticks, 2 of which are labeled and 2 that are not. Here is what I got from him.
2 x Samsung Korea 0118 H...... 128mb/8.... MR16R0828AN1-CK8IN 800-45 100
2 x (not much info on here, except for stuff written on the sticks not in label form) 0001 94V-0....ACM R1.00.... Made in Taiwan.

I wanted to know if I can add one of the sticks to bring my total to 384mb of ram. Or if it is going to stay at 256, if I should use his sticks of ram as they may be better than what I have. Or ______? any suggestions you may have.

Thank you in advance for looking, and your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:21 AM

Have you checked (tried to insert) any of these modules...to see if they are compatible with what you have?

There are differing types of RAM and they all have different fits in motherboards. They are not interchangeable.

Louis

#3 xplosive1

xplosive1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:28 PM

Well what I have, and the sticks he gave to me are both 184 pin. So I don't see any reason why they wont fit. I was wondering if maybe it is not a good idea to use a 256mb and a 128mb stick together.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:53 PM

On that board, it should be no problem.

On a later model board, it would not be a problem but you would be denied the advantage of dual-channel RAM...if using two different modules.

FWIW:

MR16R0828AN1-CK8IN 800-45 100 appears to be RDRAM, so it is not compatible, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sou...mp;oq=&aqi=

This post is accurate, http://www.computerforum.com/160611-ram-question.html. If you don't know what RDRAM is, please look it up, using Google. You will see that it's a type of memory which was employed by some Intel systems in the past. It is not compatible with PC3200 or any other form of DRAM.

Rambus is 184-pin, as is DDR...but the two cannot be mixed in a system, since the motherboard will require one or the other...never both.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users