Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Box: Some Questions

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:14 PM

Alright, i just got a new box to take to NCSU with me. It was extremely cheap ($550) for the power it has. Here the specs:

2.2 Ghz AMD 64 3200+
512 DDR RAM (400mhz)
160 GB HD
128mb ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 (****yeah!!, old box has 32mb)
15" LCD Flat-Panel Monitor
.....(yes, only $550, not bad i think)

The thing is, i want to upgrade the Processor and RAM. The problem is that it's a retail box (eMachines) and i dunno if it's able to be upgraded. I know the RAM can be increased, but idk about the processor. The eMachines model is T6211, if that means anything.....

Oh, and another question. What is the best/most proficient/fastest way to transfer a large amount of data (say 5 gigs) from one box to the other, without them being on the same network? I have a cd burner in the source Box for the info, but i don't want to waste 9 cd's if there's another way.

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 26 July 2005 - 08:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:32 PM

I don't think your going to find a much better processor than that one unless you have a bucket full of money. Are you sure of the model number? E-machines has a T6212 on their site but no T6211.

The easiest way to move that data is to take the hard drive from the source machine and slave it to the secondary channel in the new machine and transfer your data with Windows Explorer.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:40 PM

I don't think your going to find a much better processor than that one unless you have a bucket full of money. Are you sure of the model number? E-machines has a T6212 on their site but no T6211.

The easiest way to move that data is to take the hard drive from the source machine and slave it to the secondary channel in the new machine and transfer your data with Windows Explorer.

Would that require manually removing the hard drive from the source box from the case? And what cables/wires/whatever would i need?

And yeah, it's a t6211. I got it from Best Buy today (after my NCSU orientation).

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 09:06 PM

Depends on the hard drive in the source. What are the drives in the new machine? If you have a CDR or DVD on the new one (only one) then you should be able to just plug the old drive in with that existing cable after switching the jumper. Yes, you have to move the drive.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 09:14 PM

I got a C: and D: drive in my new one. The C: is 145gb and the D: is only around 10 (i'm guessing for system restore/security purposes?).

I would love to have an alternative method, considering that i'm not too confident with removing hardware and stuff from cases. I've never done it before and, knowing my luck, i'd find some way to irreversibly damage the drive in the process....

Let's hear it for n00b instability.

#6 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2005 - 12:25 AM

Dear Monkey,

I bought the T6212 for my parents which sounds like the same computer you bought.

I dumped the cheap memory for Corsair 1GB stick. The upgrade video card is a ATI AX700PCI 256MB which rocks!

The processor is faster then you think. The problem is everything is backed up with the eMachines software. Its made for computer amateurs. No offense.

Those upgrades will cost you $350 and well worth it!

On transfer data of that size, I would get an external hard drive. Non-traceable and plugs into most new computers. Price $180 for about 160GB.

Oh, anymore upgrades then I just mentioned will not be healthy for the computer and if you do go with the upgraded vid card you will have to get a cooling fan for the vid card.

Let us know,

jundk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#7 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 27 July 2005 - 09:44 AM

I'll just post a little description my neighbor gave me on 64-bit processors:

A 32 bit processor is like a room with 1000 people and 32 doors. You want to get everyone out of the room as fast as possible, so you make them run faster (increasing the clock speed). A 64 bit processor is like the same room with the same people, but with 64 doors. even if they run at the same speed, they will get out faster, because there's twice as many exits.

I think that was a great description, so feel free to quote it! :thumbsup:

PS: Monkey, I have exactly the same processor as you, and it is smokin' fast! I wouldn't worry about upgrading that for at least a few years. (DISCLAIMER: I come from a famliy that replaces computers every 6-8 years :flowers: )

Edited by Lanscader, 27 July 2005 - 09:48 AM.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

#8 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:52 AM

Lol, thanx for all the replies.

Junkdk, i'm pretty sure i'm going to get a 1gb RAM stick and replace the 512 stock, but i'm not sure about updating the graphix card. I can run Doom 3 and FarCry with only a few hiccups and slowdown on medium/high quality, so i don't think paying $150 for a new card would be worth it. Also, i'll look into an external drive for the transfer of data. I've been using a 128mb Flash drive recently, but it's only 128mb and won't move some of the larger files, i.e. games and programs. Oh, and no offense taken on the amateur part. I've already uninstalled almost every program pre-loaded on the machine. The reason i got it was because of the price (and time restriction). We have an eMachines now, and we've never had a problem with the hardware (unlike some companies *cough* Dell/Gateway *cough*). Thanx for the advice!

Lanscader, very nice explanation. So a 2.2 GHZ 32 bit processor is nowhere near the same as an AMD 64 bit processor. I have noticed that programs run quicker/smoother than i would have expected them to, so it's all good :thumbsup: .

And sorry Leurgy, your advice was good, i just didn't know/wasn't confident enough to do it, lol.

Anyways, once again, thanx for all the input. I think my box and i have started a nice, productive, game filled relationship :flowers:

#9 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2005 - 03:06 PM

Ok, another noob question.... (hey, i'm new at the hardware aspect of pc's....)

I'm lookin to upgrade the RAM to 1gig. Right now i have a 512mb DDR stick, and there are 2 RAM slots on the mobo (one is occupied now). My question is about which would be better: buying another 512mb DDR stick or tossing the old one out and buying a single 1gb DDR stick?

The stick i have now is a Samsung CN0522 512mb DDR PC32000 CL3 , if that means anything.

What type of stick should i buy to upgrade to 1gb?

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2005 - 03:43 PM

Try the Crucial Memory AdvisorTool or the Crucial System Scanner. Another tool to use is the Kingston Memory Finder. Both make good quality Ram and will suggest the best fit for your machine.

#11 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2005 - 04:13 PM

Thanx for the sites Leurgy!

I got a Kingston 512mb 184-pin DDR (400mhz) for around $52. That seems like a pretty good price, considering others i've seen have been $55-$80.

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 28 July 2005 - 04:15 PM.

#12 Racoonslayer

Racoonslayer

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:16 PM

I'll just post a little description my neighbor gave me on 64-bit processors:

A 32 bit processor is like a room with 1000 people and 32 doors. You want to get everyone out of the room as fast as possible, so you make them run faster (increasing the clock speed). A 64 bit processor is like the same room with the same people, but with 64 doors. even if they run at the same speed, they will get out faster, because there's twice as many exits.

I think that was a great description, so feel free to quote it! :thumbsup:

PS: Monkey, I have exactly the same processor as you, and it is smokin' fast! I wouldn't worry about upgrading that for at least a few years. (DISCLAIMER: I come from a famliy that replaces computers every 6-8 years :flowers: )

Very nice!

I showed that to my dad to convince him to get me one of the new EM64T processors- (he did)

#13 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2005 - 01:29 AM

Dear Monkey,

Should have bought two Kingston Rams!

Be very careful of eMachines so called fix everything software.

I hate a computer telling me what to do! All my computers work for me! If they don't, I take a hammer to them! :thumbsup:

Let us know,

junkdk :flowers:
Your Hardware Guide.

#14 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 29 July 2005 - 09:21 AM

I hate a computer telling me what to do! All my computers work for me! If they don't, I take a hammer to them! :thumbsup:

thats exactly what i did!!! my old P1 comp froze on me for the first time ever since i got it, so i took it in the backyard and threw it up as high as i could!! well, for the rest, use your imagination. :flowers:

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#15 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:38 AM

I prefer :thumbsup: over :flowers: or :trumpet:

*sigh* if only I could find one...

Edited by Lanscader, 29 July 2005 - 10:39 AM.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users