Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista not booting with sata ODD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Professor_7

Professor_7

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 28 September 2009 - 01:10 AM

Hi all...
I love to fiddle arround with computers, and thus, even though i know a reformat would probably be best, i would prefer to know what is going on with the laptop, jus because i am curious..

Heres the problem:
My friend has an asus M51v laptop, running vista 32 bit.

It would start up fine before, until one day, he did a windows update, and it said it downloaded theupdate and all, but when it went to the part where you restart to install the updates, and it goes through the 'completing stage 1, 2, 3, etc', it stopped part way through, forcing my friend to force a power off bu holding the power button.

Ever since that day, it used to sometimes start up, sometimes not.

Whenever it WOULD NOT succesfully start up, it would hang at the green scrolling bit saying windows is loading. If safe mode was entered, it would hang at crcdisk.sys. I know crcdisk.sys is not the problem, as this is loaded, it is the thing it tries to load afterwards that it is hanging at.

Once i got into vista (after a LOT of attempts, and luck, as it is seemingly random on ether it works or not), i headed straight for the boot log, to see what it is attempting to load after crcdisk.sys. From this, i saw that there is alot of network stuff that is failing to load, and i mean A LOT. (the boot log is almost 2 MG worth of txt file). I thought then that the network was a problem.
I then looked at my own boot log (on this laptop i am using now, thanks to all of you who helped me repair it before :huh: ), and saw that i also have a the same netrworking drivers not loading, yet my computer runs just fine. (although his bootlog repeats these failed drivers about 20 times, mine only a couple...).

I then got desperate, and decided to go into bios, and lock everything, thus disabling (at least disabling writing to) SATA ODD, SATA HDD, USB, network, and i think some other things, essentially making it impossible for the computer to communicate with anything, so even if the laprop could boot, no data could be saved and kept for a reformat.

Supprisingly, the laptop booted fine with everything locked, so i went about enabling things individually, until i came to the conclusion that the problem only occurs if SATA ODD (optical disk drive, AKA his DVD drive) is unlocked.

Since the problem can be avoided through changing a bios setting (locking the SATA ODD), i thought maybe a bios flash would fix it. I know the dangers of flashing your bios, thus i went onto the asus site, and searched for the bios. I downloaded the bios update, but i have no been able to find the release information on it, so i do not know if it will fix it, thus have not gone ahead with the flash just yet.

So now i am thinking maybe there is a driver issue, that the windows update attempted to update the driver, and that it was interrupted in doing so, thus it is now corrupted. I have not been able to find any drivers for an asus M51v SATA ODD though, so i am lost as to what to do now.

Ohh, and we have been running the laptop by locking thr SATA ODD, and have noticed some weird behaviour:
I got him to go into system restore with the recoery disk that came with his laptop, and it said it failed to make a restore point, (i am athering this is because there was not enough space on the hard drive, as it was done through the recovery disk, so it has full appropriate privelages).
I then booted into it normally (with the locking), and found that there was only 3 GB left on his HDD, although he told me that before the sustem restore attempt, there was 10 GB. I restarted the laptop a fiew times while looking at logs etc, and i then noticed that there was only 1.1 GB left, and this was in the space of about 1 or 2 hours. I have no idea what could be taking up 1.9 GB of space in a matter of 1 hour, when the laptop was being constantly restarted throughout this period.

The next day, he told me that the free space had gone back up to 3 GB (or 2, i cant remember), but i did a scan on the day it went from 3 to 1.1, searching for things that had been changed THAT DAY, but nothing was big enough to count towards 1.9 GB (bigggest was about 3 mb, and all the others were 100 kb or less). This made me think that maybe a hijackthis may givesome light as to what has changed in the past 30 days, thus what has changed in the past 1 day.

I am now getting him to use a USB to back up all of his data, and also save a copy of his registry (just in case), so i he does need to reformat, it will be safe.

I am just worried that this error might persist even after a reformat, as it may be copied when he restores his data.

Also, he does not know how to make his programs work other than reinstalling them, after a reformat, as the registry entries will be lost, and simply copying them back across will not make them work.

I do not have the time ti sort through his registry and find the ones that are needed for his programs, and compile them into a .reg that can be run to restore working order to his newly reformated laptop.

To sum it all up, (sorry for the shot story, i thought you might be interested to know EXACTLY whats happening / hapopened):
My friend has no reformated yet, and his 32 bit vista will only boot if SATA ODD is locked from bios.

Thanks in advance, and even if it is not help, i would also like to read any responses that you may have as to my 'debugging' methods, or f you are just merely entriegued as to the outcome of this predicement.

PS. The bootlog is too big to attach anyway, so if it IS needed, we may have a problem XD.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RTCTech1

RTCTech1

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:35 PM

First, to find out large number of files on the system: http://www.geekcorp.com/diskstate/

Next, It's most likely the driver. If you can Boot to Safe Mode, go to device manager, UNINSTALL the DVDROM, and then click the "Scan for hardware changes" at the top. This should fix that. Of course you can always try to roll back the drivers to the previous version.

#3 Professor_7

Professor_7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:21 PM

Against my wishes (but probably for the best), he went ahead, and reformatted his computer. I thought it might be the boot sector, but when he did the repair install, he also did the partitions, instead of the 2, he put it on 1.
This still did not fix it, a clean install of vista did not install, so i was lost sa to what the problem was.

He has now used a windows 7 install disk to install windows 7 (what a supprise, what else do you use an install disk for :huh: ).
It now works fine, windows 7 seems to have fixed it... The only thing is that SOME of the hotkeys do not work, but i guess this will be addressed in an update...

Please do not close this thread, as i am still very interested to know why this occurred. If this means this being moved to another area of the forums, so be it :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users