Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad RAM?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 infidel

infidel

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 26 July 2005 - 07:19 PM

Hi All:

Forgive my ignorance, I'm more of a Mac guy and still learning the ins and outs of XP. I've been having various and sundry problems with the system, I'll spare you the whole list and try to keep it relevant. I recently replaced my boot drive and reinstalled windows, and several of the problems seem to have been solved, the culprit was apparently a faulty control board on the dirve. However, I'm now running into a problem while trying to format an external firewire drive, which is:

I get an error message (red circle, white x) saying, "The instruction at '0x77f5215c' referenced memoryt at '0x00000000'. The memory could not be 'written'. Click on OK to terminate program"

Does this error message indicate a problem with my RAM, perhaps a bad memory stick? If so, I have two of them, so to figure out which one it is, I guess I should pull one and reboot. Does it matter which slot the remaining one is in? Or, is there a better way to test for this problem?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 26 July 2005 - 07:38 PM

While I don't know about the error, I know that some motherboards will have color coded ram slots. Ex: I have 3 slots, 2 yellow and 1 blue. The blue slot is the primary slot, and should contain the biggest/best ram stick you have (in your case, the working one, when you find it). If yours are colored, they might not be yellow and blue (mine is an ASUS board). If you only have 2 slots and they are color coded, one of the slots might be the same color as, say the PCI slots (yellow in my case as well). This would be the secondary slot. The slots may be labeled in some other fashion, as well (assuming primary and secondary matters with your board). I havn't had much experience outside my personal machine, but I suspect that other motherboards use the same color coding and primary and secondary systems.

Hope it helps,
Lanscader

Edited by Lanscader, 26 July 2005 - 07:42 PM.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:01 PM

Is all the Ram being recognized at bootup?

If you can't see it on the screen as the computer boots, download Everest Home Edition, run it and see what it tells you.

Download here:
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.p...ang=en&pageid=3
or here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 26 July 2005 - 11:24 PM

You could also test your RAM with Memtest.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 infidel

infidel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2005 - 09:54 AM

It looks like the RAM is recognized at start-up but the page goes by too fast to really read it. Is there a way to boot into setup or safe mode to get a better look at the BIOS/motherboard info?

I ran Everest, and it says I have 991 MB of physical memory. I have two 512 MB memory sticks, don't know if it's really supposed to add up to 1024 or not but I'm guessing the 991 figure is probably normal? I ran the benchmark test as well, but I can't find any info in the user guide as to how to interpret the results...it's all Greek to me. The memory should be high quality, this computer was built by a highly regarded company that specialized (RIP) in building computers to run a particular type of software that I use.

I also ran Memtest from a bootable floppy, twice. Both times, it froze during test #7. Up until that point, there were no errors reported. Any idea what that might mean? The documentation wasn't clear on it.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users