Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How often do you or should you dust inside?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Chuckrox8

Chuckrox8

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 26 July 2005 - 07:07 PM

Every once in a while I'll open up my computer to find a relatively moderate amount of dust that has collected on my MB, fans, cable, etc... How often should you/or do you clean/dust? I would imagine that dust plays a large factor in how much your computer can cool itself especially if the fans and grates have dust.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 unrepper

unrepper

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 07:09 PM

here's a good place for computer cleaning info
Posted Image

#3 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 26 July 2005 - 09:48 PM

i clean out my case like every 3 months or so. ever since i started doing that havent seen any actual build up inside (during the summer its real humid here). i use my kirby vacuum (best vacuum EVER!!) to suck and blow. (i know that sounds wrong but i dont mean it that way)

i've been getting average temperature air out of my case's rear end. (again sounds wrong but dont mean it that way)

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#4 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 11:17 PM

Dear Chuck,

Cleaning your computer is necessary task that depends on where your computer is and how you treat it.

Dust is evil! If you have dust you can see, you have corrosion starting on any of your connections.

When you clean for dust I would also clean all of the metal to metal connections as well. Use ESD precautions!

I use Isopropanel alcohol (rubbing) and an acid brush. As a matter of fact I have both sitting next to me. Mice's get dirty quick and I use a track ball.

Now don't go overboard! The rubbing alcohol leaves a white film that is not good for plastics.

I clean my computers all the time. You would too if you have $5000 plus invested in them. Unless your rich...then you can buy new ones. :thumbsup:

Let us know,

junkdk :flowers:
Your Hardware Guide.

#5 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 27 July 2005 - 12:56 PM

I buy canned air, blow the dust off any surface and vacuum up the blown dust. Not only do I do that, but any heatsink/fans I have, I blow the dust out of the heatsink. You have no idea how many people clean out their PC and forget to clean the dust out of the heatsinks. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2005 - 01:09 PM

A word of caution about compressed air. Blowing this on your fans can cause them to spin too fast and damage the bearings. Hold the fan still with a pencil.

Be very careful to ground yourself to the computer case to negate static electricity. Its very easy to destroy a computer chip with a spark you can't even feel.

Was forwarded this link by a friend recently. Clean up your grungy PC. Thanks Animal.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 bar5

bar5

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2005 - 03:17 PM

A word of caution about compressed air. Blowing this on your fans can cause them to spin too fast and damage the bearings. Hold the fan still with a pencil.

Be very careful to ground yourself to the computer case to negate static electricity. Its very easy to destroy a computer chip with a spark you can't even feel.

Was forwarded this link by a friend recently. Clean up your grungy PC. Thanks Animal.

I kind of fell across this thread by mistake looking for something else.

Thanks for the link on how to clean your PC. That is the best one I have seen. After reading it, I found out I was not cleaning everything I should. Now I know exactly what to do.

I've bookmarked the link for future use.

Barb :thumbsup:

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2005 - 03:50 PM

Glad you liked it bar5

I thought that site pretty well covered all the bases. Its an article from CNet that is on a Sympatico site (Big in Canadian DSL). So if you want to keep it in your favourites, you might want to link it from CNEt.

But your going to have to find it all by yourself. :thumbsup:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#9 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 29 July 2005 - 04:39 PM

grrr... now i need to start spending my hard earned money for compressed air instead of using my very convient vacuum which is what weve been doing for years...

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#10 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2005 - 10:29 PM

lol, who needs to buy canned air when you've got a compresser lol.

I've probably cleaned out the inside of this computer three times in the three years i've had it. Usually if I have to open it up, I clean it. Thus has been the case for new ram, video card, and DVD rom

Edited by Wizdabest, 30 July 2005 - 10:29 PM.

#11 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2005 - 10:49 PM

Well my new custom built pc(I built) has a clear side panel. It also has a 120mm fan up front and a 80mm on the side.

This brings in a lot of air and dust. When I can see some dust build up on the computer its time to clean it. I shut it off and take the cover off.

I touch the pc's metal case or something else around me thats metal to discharge static.

I get a couple of small paint brushes(like you had in school for art) and then wipe the CPU fan and heatsink off gently.

I also then clean all the other small fans in there. Once that is done I get my vacuum out.

I take off the attchements and get next to the parts but dont touch them. It will suck the loose dirt off. I can then get a small brush and wipe the other parts clean like the case and AGP card.

Then suck the dirt that fell off up off the pc's case bottom.

Thats how I do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users