Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I upgrade Memory on hp xh675?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aastew

aastew

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:14 PM

I have hp pavilion xh675.

Windows XP Pro SP2
mobile AMD Athlon Processor 1.20 GHz, 512 MB RAM
30GB Hard Drive

I would like to run Visual Web Developer with MSDN installed also. My questions are:
Since VWD suggests 256 MB RAM, and I only have 512 MB (and XP is using part of that), is it possible to buy more RAM memory and install it on the laptop?
Is 30 GB Hard Drive big enough for projects? Is it possible to buy more memory and install it on the laptop?
I see articles about clocking to help processor speed - is this an option.

I am software literate, but not quite so with the hardware.

thanks for any help/suggestions you may have

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,099 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:25 PM

As far as what I've found, is that you cannot upgrade your memory.

Standard Memory 512 MB
Maximum Memory 512 MB

Also a 30GB hard drive is not that large. Furthermore 512MB of memory is the recommended minimum for running XP with any sort of speed. Any sort of RAM intensive application on top of XP and it will slow to a crawl. IMHO it looks like it's time for a new machine if you want to run these applications.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:53 PM

I see articles about clocking to help processor speed - is this an option. [

No, not an option
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 aastew

aastew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:55 PM

thank you all - that's what i was afraid of. time for a new machine.

#5 Cayer

Cayer

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:58 AM

512MB of memory is the recommended minimum for running XP with any sort of speed. Any sort of RAM intensive application on top of XP and it will slow down when you are operating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users